Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..... of a S&W revolver. I have removed a few sideplates and hosed out the internals with gun scrubber, then lubed & reassembled, but never gone further.
Yesterday I opened up my 617. Took out the main spring and the rebound slide. This was as far as I intended to go.
DCDA73EA-C96E-4203-A7DF-D07946B5C8C4.jpeg
I put mothers where the rebound slide contacts the frame and slid it back and forth quite a bit, but the trigger was kind of in the way so I removed it. What the heck, the hammer just lifts out at this point so I pulled it out too and while I was that far I removed the thumb piece and remove the bolt too. (is that correct term”. Saw a few spots that could be smoother but I have no intention of messing with sear surfaces. I am ordering a set of polishing stones that run from 320 up to 1200 grit (320, 400, 600, 800, 1000 & 1200 grit)
Inside a S&W revolver wasnt near as scary as I thought it would be. I made a little tool to reinstall the rebound slide spring and have since made another I think will be better. I watched 3 or 4 YouTube videos before beginning. I figure If I am going to own a bunch of them, I might as well figure out how they come apart & go back together, and I did get it back together. Had no parts left over so apparently I didn’t improve the design

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
You might as well get Kuhnhausen's book and the proper tool for the rebound slide

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You might as well get Kuhnhausen's book and the proper tool for the rebound slide
Started off in 2012 with, I'm going to buy a pistol. Just one for home defense & plinking..... Mid 2013, now with 3 or 4 semi auto handguns, 2 calibers, as well as an AR & a 15-22, I acquire my first revolver. A S&W 38 M&P, made in 1955..... 3 or 4 months later I'm thinking that I now have to stock 38 special I might as well get a 357 magnum too so I get a 4 inch 686 no dash.............3 or 4 months later I'm thinking, "Wow, all this ammo I'm shooting is getting expensive. Maybe I should learn to reload.....April 2014 reloaded first round of ammo. Need more dies, bullets, Primers and powder. . . . . April 2014 to now.... Have added another dozen S&W revolvers, more bottom feeders in different calibers, more dies, bullets, primers and powder ........ Jan 2020 .... Hmmmm, maybe I should learn how to take these apart . . . need to order shop manual, Rebound slide tool, Arkansas stones, desktop lighted magnifier......... does it ever end??

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If you get the big Wheeler screwdriver kit it comes with the bit to do that

·
Registered
825 Posts
Jonesy,

I hate to tell you this, but:

Ur screwed now.

You have voyaged to...the nether regions.

Should have let sleeping dogs lie. Not explored. Not ventured, or wondered.

U can’t go back. Twilight zone for U now.

Ask me how I know.

The Ruger Super Redhawk was working perfectly! Till I pulled the trigger group out.

Crap! That tiny, tiny spring. Who knew! It had the power of a Saturn 5 rocket!

I had no appetite to move my 5 ton reloading bench. Moved from the place. Everything out of my shop. It traveled to another dimension. Or Ruger equipped it with a cloaking shield.

Finally bought a replacement. Ruger sent two freebies. With an admonition.

“Keep your non-gunsmith activities to oiling. Leave the rest to the creators.”

Then, I had to fiddle with the .22 cal Browning. I am a slow learner.

Don’t make Rod Serling have to pay you a visit!

Or Master Yoda.

·
Registered
13,400 Posts
One of the main reasons I prefer S&W revolvers is there ease of complete disassembly,which has not changed much in 100 years. Not that they require much teardown or repair..but when they do..it is not rocket science.
Sort of like who to vote for in 2020.......:D

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Does it ever end??
Sure ,,,,,, maybe,,,,,,,, After you migrate thru all of the above with Rugers and Colts and maybe some Single Actions. Cuz after a while they kind of make sense too. fhfjjjj
By the time you get old you may decide to at least slow down and downsize,,,,,, but that probably won't work.
weiweinp Circle of life Son,,,, circle of life.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
good on you .. I almost cant help taking things apart. Been a curse since I was a weee little kid.

Just .. dont pull out the hand if you don't have to.

It was a bit of a pain getting the spring back in there. I found the smith to be satisfyingly crude with big simple parts and its kind of easy to figure out how things interact. Nope .. I am no expert only having gone in twice but I have stripped down other guns and found the old CZ clockworks pre omega a fair amount more involved and I have taken out the ruger GP movement several times but it is certainly not easy to see how everything works with wee tiny bits. You look in the smith and go .. Oh I understand how it works .. you pull out the GP works and go ... Yea .. maybe I will leave the main block alone!!

My trigger spring rebound tool is a pencil. I still have to dig in the wallet and buy a proper set of tools

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
If it shoots I've taken it apart. Not always the best decision, but taken apart anyway. I remember my first experience with the rebound slide and not having the correct tool....Amazing what having the correct tool will do for ease of a job!

As others have said, you are in trouble now.. Good for you for being adventurous!

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work Vern. I knew you would jump into this sooner than later.
Will probably be hitting you up with some questions soon. have a busy weekend with my grandson coming for a visit tomorrow, but plan to dive into some more next week

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Jonsey.... it never ends once you go to the dark side (of the side plate)!

Kuhnhausen's book is a necessity, as are the proper tools. When you find Darth Vader in there, let me know.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I've installed some Wolfe trigger kits in Black and Super black hawks, and with Vern's help cleaned and lubed a Model 19. I'm pretty comfortable with mechanical items so I think I need to buy a book mate...:)

thewelshm

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Jonesy,

Well done!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Started off in 2012 with, I'm going to buy a pistol. Just one for home defense & plinking..... Mid 2013, now with 3 or 4 semi auto handguns, 2 calibers, as well as an AR & a 15-22, I acquire my first revolver. A S&W 38 M&P, made in 1955..... 3 or 4 months later I'm thinking that I now have to stock 38 special I might as well get a 357 magnum too so I get a 4 inch 686 no dash.............3 or 4 months later I'm thinking, "Wow, all this ammo I'm shooting is getting expensive. Maybe I should learn to reload.....April 2014 reloaded first round of ammo. Need more dies, bullets, Primers and powder. . . . . April 2014 to now.... Have added another dozen S&W revolvers, more bottom feeders in different calibers, more dies, bullets, primers and powder ........ Jan 2020 .... Hmmmm, maybe I should learn how to take these apart . . . need to order shop manual, Rebound slide tool, Arkansas stones, desktop lighted magnifier......... does it ever end??
nfiofnpnfiofnpnfiofnp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts