Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
My father gave me a pistol years ago. I had it Tefloned and stored it away until the last few years. Since then I've been firing it.
I'm trying to find out information on it...and hope someone on this forum can help.
The serial number on the bottom of the grip and on the cylinder is V 257291.
I have photos if needed.
Thanks,
Murph

· Registered
6,199 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois...

Reactions: jpr

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello
My father gave me a pistol years ago. I had it Tefloned and stored it away until the last few years. Since then I've been firing it.
I'm trying to find out information on it...and hope someone on this forum can help.
The serial number on the bottom of the grip and on the cylinder is V 257291.
I have photos if needed.
Thanks,
Murph
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Grille Gas

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Alloy wheel Rim

Wood Gas Door Metal Circle

Bumper Rim Bicycle part Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire White Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

· Premium Member
23,249 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! It is a WWII .38 Military & Police Victory revolver from 1942/43. The grips are not correct for the time frame the gun was made in. They are from the 1920 decade.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! It is a WWII .38 Military & Police Victory revolver from 1942/43. The grips are not correct for the time frame the gun was made in. They are from the 1920 decade.
Hmmm...that's strange, but is changing the grip to an early model common?
Thanks for the reply.

· Premium Member
23,249 Posts
Changing grips on Smith & Wesson revolvers is quite common. Some people like earlier versions over the more modern versions, and vice versa. The grips on your gun are checkered while the original grips were very plain. I suppose your father preferred the checkered version.

· Registered
161 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Kansas

Hmmm...that's strange, but is changing the grip to an early model common?
Thanks for the reply.
Changing grips on Smith & Wesson revolvers is quite common. Some people like earlier versions over the more modern versions, and vice versa. The grips on your gun are checkered while the original grips were very plain. I suppose your father preferred the checkered version.
Here’s my post war M&P 38 with grips similar to yours.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts