Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Keith44Spl's and Kevin Keith's recent posts about their phenomenal Colt SAA's, I was reminded of the 1951 Gun Digest on a shelf in my basement. It's a custom hardbound copy that was given to my dad.

My grandfather was the gun buyer for Marshall Field & Company on State Street in Chicago back in the day. Pages 117-120 of this particular Gun Digest review the 1949 book by John E. Parsons titled "The Peacemaker and its Rivals."

For the book and the review, several Colts were collected for professional photographs. They took 8x10 black and white photos of two guns at a time to save money on the developing costs. My dad was given this hardbound copy of the Gun Digest along with the original black and white photograph used for the book.

The caption for my dad's gun reads, "Colt S.A.A..357 Magnum 5 1/2" barrel. King short action, half-rib, Cock-Eyed skeletonized hammer, and wide checked trigger." The smaller lettering reads, "From the collection of L.V. Tracey." Bummer that they misspelled my grandfather's name and the gun was actually my dad's but my granddad was the one who supplied the gun to the photographer.

The gun below it is the one my dad's was matched up with for the actual photograph. The caption for it reads, "Colt S.A.A. caliber .45 Colt, 5 1/2" barrel, Colt "C" grade engraving, Colt ivory grips. That one says it's from the editor's collection.

The third gun at the bottom of the page has the caption, Colt S.A.A. caliber .357 Magnum 7 1/2" barrel. Completely covered with engraving by C. Agee. King ventilated rib, short action, Cock-eyed hammer, checked trigger, and Roper grips.

The top right page gun says, "Colt S.A.A. caliber 22 long rifle, conversion by Sedgley. King adjustable sights and special hammer. "Fully engraved with cattle brands by C. Agee."

Ahhhhh Kings GunWorks. I sure with my dad had kept his old King .357 Magnum. He said the same things several times....

-Steve

·
Registered
288 Posts
WOW! I've not seen so many King SAAs in one place before. What a collection and what a book.

I've see King's skeletonized hammers before buy not installed, only in a King catalogue along with his sights and other services he was all too happy to perform for the ones wanting customized sixguns.

The labor intensive, close work...all done on a lathe and milling machine and files and his two hands. A true artist in my book! I wish your dad had hung on to it for you!

Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dang, mm6mm6,
You made go get my copy of Parson's book and look thru it! Good photo on page 94, shows six Colts, two of which appear to be King's work. My wife has the scanner disconnected or I would post a copy of the picture. Thanks for bringing back some old memorys.
Dave kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Steve,
A spectacular writeup of history, and outstanding pictures! welldone
I wasn't aware of the tremendous number of King variations available for the Colt S.A.A.
Thanks for a neat post.
Don
;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.