Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to break the ice and start a thread. I see .357 threads involving older guns, but the slightly younger kids should get to come out and see light of day, too.

This is my Pre-Model 27 that was shipped in January 1956. The gun may never have been fired, but I haven't been able to confirm that despite its short roster of ownership (I think I'm in fourth position).

Possibly my best gun in terms of fit and finish, though I have a couple of contemporaries in other calibers that are almost as nice.

David Wilson

·
Registered
656 Posts
As everyone knows, I love all things 27.

I find the tapered barrel on the 357 makes the long one light and faster handling without the excessive muzzle heavy feel of the heavy barrels found on the bigger caliber models.

Is that a 6.5" barrel?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even longer -- 8 3/8". Goes all the way from here to way over there. I've learned not to take this one out and look at it under hanging lights.

DW

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ohhh! That is very nice! I am not normally a fan of the longer bbl. revolvers but that is one beautiful gun. klgasilBRVO
Bob

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
sweet mamma... that's one nice looking specimen. Good first impression!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hah! That sweet 27 is almost as old as I am, but it looks much better.. ;) Congrats on a real looker. Something to bring big smiles to the faces of old Grandpas. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
DCW that is a great pre 27. I agree with your statement about fit and finish. For post war, I find the mid fifties guns my favorite S&W revolvers. Nice one.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Thets a rite purty shootin iron ya got there Dave. Reminiscent of the first S&W 357 Mag. I ever laid eyes on.
Just somethin about the old 5 screw S&W's with diamond grips and a rich lusterous blue that reaches out and grabs me; and I spect a lot of others too.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
WoW!! (Said aloud in slow motion)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
You guys sure have it nailed when it comes to the finish on those postwar .357's. ;)
IMHO, the absolute best bluing jobs took place from the
mid-1950's to the mid-1960's.
Take the most gorgeous Registered Magnum there is, put a 1956 .44 Magnum next to it, or a 1959 M-27, and you'll be amazed how great the 50's guns look!
Going back to the 1930's, the polish work was fantastic, but you can still find polish-marks on sideplates and barrels.
The quality and fit-and-finish apparent on the postwar .357's is remarkable, especially considering the speed required for S&W to stay competitive in those days!
The 1952 .357 below is a good example of the finish done so well back then. The grips are 'wrong', but you get the idea... :mrgreen:
Don

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

DHENRY: That is a beauty you posted, just love N-frame 357's. I never thought about your comment on the finnish of the 50's magnums. I have a registered Smith, probably in the bottom of my toy box, but I will dig it out and do some comparing. I will say the Triple Lock I just posted has a mirror like finnish that I can see myself in - But this Triple Lock was made in 1908.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't argue on the M27. The 1950's are my also my favorites.

Here's 3 of mine I have on my picture file.

Regards:
Rod

The one on top, is a pre 27 and the lower one is a M27 no dash

The same M27 no dash and a M28 no dash

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow, more great wheelguns. Awesome, and thanks for sharing. Beautiful finishes.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

DHENRY - Have one of those "S" serial number 27's, so I'm trotting it out. You made a good point about the finish on the 27's of the 50's and early 60's era. I dusted this one off and it shined up real good. It has the 6 and a half inch barrel, red ramp, w/o rear and target trigger and hammer, and original diamonds. I have the box but it's a bit tattered.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

Same 27, a little less Sun, dispays blue better. Showing off my 1917 USMC Bolo Knife and sheath. I bought my first Bolo at age 10 for 99 cents, still have it, but it doesn't show as well as the one pictured.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts