·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Trifecta!

Swell looking threesome!

·
Super Moderator
20,077 Posts
I have one of those beasts. It's been completely rebuilt from the ground up.. It started out as a Saiga Sporter (US import regulations), but I had all of the 922 compliant parts put in. It was built in the IZHMASH plant, and has all of the correct stampings to indicate it's an AK in hiding. I'm adding a couple photos of it.

This is the way I got it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't really like the ak platform either. I have had experience shooting AK47s and I would not say that this weapon deserves to be one of the most popular in the world. Perhaps this is due to the fact that this weapon is easy to manufacture and more reliable than the AR. When I was at the firing range I shot the ak with the great long range sniper scope but I can't say that it was a good accuracy. I think it was UTG 3 or something, but it worked much better with the M416. After all, the AK-47 is a weapon for close and medium combat. In any case, I prefer the nato weapons.

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
All those are missing one important aspect, the 'select fire detent'.

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
Being shot twice by an AK47 I am not a fan of the platform. If it was my decision I would melt all of them. I guess someone needs to like them!
Bet the shooter was fairly close or lucky. They are woefully inaccurate mass produced rifles that really have no business being in civillian hands.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bet the shooter was fairly close or lucky. They are woefully inaccurate mass produced rifles that really have no business being in civillian hands.

First you say...

"All those are missing one important aspect, the 'select fire detent'. "

Then you say they have no business in civilian hands. Guessing you hate AR's too, or anything that holds more than 10 rounds?

I was guessing you voted for joe, but then saw your avatar...somewhat confused I must say.

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
First you say...

"All those are missing one important aspect, the 'select fire detent'. "

Then you say they have no business in civilian hands. Guessing you hate AR's too, or anything that holds more than 10 rounds?

I was guessing you voted for joe, but then saw your avatar...somewhat confused I must say.

Not at all and don't insult me, you don't have a clue about my political leanings so don't make guesses that aren't true or factual.

AK's are basically junk, plain and simple. A mass produced at lowest cost weapon designed and executed primarily for insurgent and guerilla warfare use and was never designed for civilian use in the first place and yes, all non military issue units are sans the select fire option...

Have I ever had one, sure have. In fact I had 3 as well as numerous 'Ham Cans' of Wolf steel jacketed 7.62 x 39 one use boxer primed cartridges. One was a Dragnov sniper rifle, the other 2 were of Eastern Bloc manufacture. I sold them all as well as most all of the cartridges (have a couple 50 boxes of Wolf in the gun safe if anyone wants them, they can have them, maybe Gearchecker will take them next time he visits...

Anyway, I sold all 3 during the last Obama arms go around for a handsome profit, 2 at a local gun show in the parking lot for cash and the other one to a friend of a friend who wanted it.

Terrible weapons, strictly pray and spray and I don't want any. Now if I could buy them cheap and sell them steep (like I did with the 3 I had, I might consider that, but owning one as a sporting firearm, no way.

Better off with an AR Stoner platform or a Ruger Mini 30. At least they are somewhat accurate downrange, an AK isn't. The very design of the action and sloppy tolerances in the chamber guarantee poor accuracy.

My view but don't make pronouncements about me concerning my political leanings. There are only 3 member on here that know me personally and can make that call and you ain't one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My AK 74 can put 3 rounds into 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards rested, open sights. Also, never jammed in some 5000 rounds without cleaning. Hardly "junk."

Founding Fathers would have demanded the populace be armed will full-auto AK's. Actually they wrote a Constitution around the concept.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My AK 74 can put 3 rounds into 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards rested, open sights. Also, never jammed in some 5000 rounds without cleaning. Hardly "junk."
3-4 MOA is hardly a tack driver, but they were never intended to be one. I don't call AK's junk, it's the most-produced rifle on the planet, and they have a purpose, to hit "minute of man" to about 200 yards reliably. The full auto of the military issued ones makes that a bit easier. They don't jam much because the tolerances were designed so you could throw the gun in a mudhole and it would still function when you pulled it out. I'd almost say they were the perfect close combat rifle, but you couldn't give me one. Maybe if I were a collector of combat arms, just so I could say I had one. I have a couple of old Mosins, but only to say I have a couple of old Mosins (a 91/30 and a M44) and to shoot them in order to make me more fully appreciate the finer firearms I have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts