Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictured is my 629 MOD-6291, serial # N8971XX, barrel length of 4 inches. For background: my cousin purchased this weapon new sometime in the 1980s in Virginia. It was fired only a couple of times and then sat in its original presentation box until his death some 30 years later. I purchased it from his estate for $400 which included the box and the Bianchi holster. While stored in the box, the original purple material bonded with the gun-metal. His brother, the estate executor, spent countless hours restoring the finish. He is meticulous and did well.

My questions: When and where was it manufactured?
Is a 4" barrel common for this model? The stock wood grips look great and are comfortable when shooting 44 Special. With 44 Mag, not so, it is uncomfortable. Advice on grips please. The gun fires 200 to 300 rounds per year and nothing hot either. Can it withstand hotter 44 Mag loads at the same volume?

Thank You.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Your gun was manufactured somewhere between 1982-1983. It was manufactured in
Smith & Wesson’s plant in Springfield, Ma. Very nice gun you have there. One of the best ever made.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very nice M629. The 4" variant is fairly common; it's still in the current S&W lineup. Shoot 44 Mags to your heart's content with confidence.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I'v always hated the target grips from the 80's . Had one on my first 629.They're frequently referred to as 2x4's for obvious reasons.

For shooting pleasure, I'd recommend a rubber grip like a Hogue monogrip. Keep the 2x4s in a box for whenever you decide to sell the gun.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Personally I like the 2 x 4 's :)

thewelshm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts