Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some revolvers are my favorites to carry. Others are my favorites to just own and look at. These 2 are my favorites to shoot. My model 625-6,
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

I like the 45 acp cartridge but only had a full sized 1911 to launch them from. Everyone on the forum just raved about how great to shoot and how accurate their 45 caliber revolvers were, so that kinda got me thinking about one, but not too seriously. Then, in late June of 2017, a forum member listed his model 625 with 5 inch barrel & Altamont grips for sale on this forum. This was back when the forum had a guns for sale section because they trusted its members to make their own decisions and then accept our own responsibility for making online gun buying purchases. Now they feel they have to protect us from potential fraud and seeing bad memes so they took away the guns for sale section & censor threads like a good big brother

Model 617-6

Revolver Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel

The 617 is one of only 2 revolvers that I purchased brand new. I had looked them over a couple times in the shop and handled both the 4 and 6 inch, but really didn’t want to spend nearly $750 plus 6% sales tax for one, which would take it to practically $800. Well, in Feb of 2017, they were listed in the After Christmas sale flyer from the LGS for $679.99. I figured they weren’t likely to get any cheaper so I bought it
Both are fantastic shooters and will put a smile on your face. a few weeks ago I had the 617 along when shooting rifles at 50 yards. Curt, Tim and I were all able to put multiple rounds on target at that range
What are your favorite revolvers to shoot

·
Super Moderator
19,588 Posts
Mine is of course, my model 57. I love the 41 magnum, and on the N frame it's a pleasure to shoot. I know it's expensive to shoot, but that's not a concern to me because I don't blow thru ammo with it. A couple of cylinders per session, and I'm good to go.

Brown Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just like the OP I like the 625 as well. I saw one for sale at the LGS but it has 5 ports drilled through the barrel rib. Really looks odd and the price $1399. It has the 5" barrel and I think it's pre-lock.
Yep, thats pretty high priced. With them being out of production, the prices have gone up, but that is more like Mountain Gun territory

·
Registered
40,402 Posts
Couple of my favorite revolvers to take to the range are....

4" model 28-2. The one firearm that has THE best trigger out of any gun I have and it's a joy to shoot.
Revolver Gesture Bullet Personal protective equipment Eyewear

Model 67-5....a top choice and my favorite 38sp.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Finally....I have to agree with previous comments...my 625 JM. Just something about a 45acp revolver and it should be a part of everyone's collection if able....
Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood Line

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
At present, my M25-5 is my favorite to shoot, of my revolvers. Mild recoil, at least as accurate as I am, but dang, it makes a big hole in paper, and knocks gongs over like a playground bully pushing little kids.
View attachment 571533
Have you looked over your shoulder lately Wild Bill?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Story goes, he always sat with his back to a wall; he had gotten up from a poker game and another man took his seat. When he came back, the guy refused to swap seats with him after he asked, and he took a seat with his back to the door. So endeth Wild Bill. I made that picture as an homage to him. I don't own a SAA, so I used the next best thing I did have. I didn't have any rotgut whiskey, either, that's Hennessey VSOP cognac in the shot glass. Can you read what's on the glass? It's from Dick's Last Resort, in San Antonio.

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At present, my M25-5 is my favorite to shoot, of my revolvers. Mild recoil, at least as accurate as I am, but dang, it makes a big hole in paper, and knocks gongs over like a playground bully pushing little kids.
View attachment 571533
Is that a 45 Colt, or ACP? I don't recall ever seeing a 4 inch M25 that was 45 acp.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is that a 45 Colt, or ACP? I don't recall ever seeing a 4 inch M25 that was 45 acp.
It's .45 Colt, that's the connection to Wild Bill. It's a M25-5; in M25's, even series numbers are .45 Auto, odd numbers are .45 Colt. Mine is a 1980 vintage. In that picture, it's wearing magnas, but the gun came with GA Target stocks. I put the magnas from my M28-2 on it to accentuate its size. I've shot it that way, the magnas actually fit my hands better than the target stocks, and the .45C doesn't numb your hand like .41M or .44M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts