Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the OK from Wendy...............maybe we limit this to the weekend.....maybe not
But I'm an old fart whoi grew up on Jimi, Gracie, ELP and the rest...............so post up up your favorite for the rest of us to enjoy.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

An all-time great story!

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A classic to me

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An awesome group of folks

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I go back a bit farther than most here but here's a little of my history concerning guns and music. My best friend and I were both drummers and had played in school bands together since 7th grade. We joined the Army Reserves together and served as company drummers during basic training.

Drummers5stamp.jpg

Gun related? The two company drummers also qualified #1 and #2 on the rifle range (with M1 rifles) and won three day passes and $5 each from the CO. Us Tennessee boys had to show those yankees amongst us how to shoot. :)

Jack and Dave_Oct 1955_Ft. Jackson SC_tops.jpg

After basic we finished our tour with the 101st Division Band.

101band2x.jpg

We returned to Memphis, joined the musicians union and started playing with various bands. Dave wound up playing with Carl Perkins and Roy Orbison and I did a summer tour with Conway Twitty before returing to college. I still have my union newsletter announcing a new member that year, 1957, John Cash, guitar.

Picture 219 - arkievol.jpg

I was into jazz more than pop and listend to Dave Brubeck, Stan Kenton, Phineas Newborn, Gerry Mylligan, Maynard Ferguson, etc..

Take Five, Brubeck...in 5/4 time.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=brubeck+take+five&&view=detail&mid=8AE7DA00E4C2B8DC2F308AE7DA00E4C2B8DC2F30&&FORM=VRDGAR

I still love marching bands and if you were a high school musician and want to see the "Most Entertaining Brass Band in the World", watch this Japanese girls high school marching band. They have hundreds of videos on You Tube and they are awesome...just a sample:

Kyoto Tachibana HS Band...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Kyoto+Tachibana+SHS+Band+YouTube&&view=detail&mid=CB5113831AC5CBB59CD3CB5113831AC5CBB59CD3&&FORM=VRDGAR

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn, Wendy.............it seems mostly you and me appreciate this..........................

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Cain’s is an awesome place for concerts. Big enough to get a large crowd but small enough to feel like it’s your own personal concert. Usually make a concert there every other month or so. Became good friends with Cody Canada from Cross Canadian Ragweed and all the guys in the Great Divide, who I had play at my wedding reception. Red Dirt music is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 397 Posts