Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned a while back here on the forum......I’m trying to get back into casting and shooting more. I had taken about a 30 hiatus from any serious casting, hand loading, and shooting.....other than shooting the CC handguns.

About 2 years ago, I started casting and doing load development for my 460 S&W. With my discovering the benefits of powder coating cast bullets.....I decided to get more serious with the other handguns and a few rifles. The first step toward a bit more precision, was to get new sizing dies after “slugging” the bores on the firearms to be used. My first gun to work with, was my S&W 629 - 44 Mag.

I was stunned at how small these cartridges were, as compared to the 460’s I’ve been working with the last 2 years! I can remember when I got my first 44 Mag some 40 years ago......I thought it was a small cannon. Wow, “how times have changed”! 😁 memtb

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Instead of using a case full of 2400, in the 44, am now using 7.5gr UNIVERSAL! LOL

Reactions: DocWyatt

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Instead of using a case full of 2400, in the 44, am now using 7.5gr UNIVERSAL! LOL
I was pretty fond on 9.0 grains of Unique beneath a 215 grain SWC. But, haven’t fired one in many years. In fact, this morning looking at reload dates on those 215’s show a load date in the early ‘90’s! I really need to get out more! 😄

I remember, about 30 years ago, having just finished loading a bunch of 300 grain SBT’s for my H&H. When finished, I immediately started loading for my .223 Rem......I couldn’t hardly hold onto those “tiny” little bullets! 😁 memtb

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
If you think a 460 case is large, try a 450 Bushmaster. 44RM's are tiny compared to the 460 but they suffer from the same issue as the 460 case does. Neck cracking. Why I anneal the necks, especially now with the scarcity of brass in general.

Reactions: msharley and memtb

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you think a 460 case is large, try a 450 Bushmaster. 44RM's are tiny compared to the 460 but they suffer from the same issue as the 460 case does. Neck cracking. Why I anneal the necks, especially now with the scarcity of brass in general.

The Bushmaster is in a little different class firearm.....I was just thinking in handgun usage. In rifles, I guess my 45-70 somewhat parallels the Bushmaster! memtb

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
They (firearm manufacturers are starting to build handguns (semi auto's) that chamber the 450.

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
Myself, I prefer the 460 over a 500. Better downrange ballistics and it don't hurt so bad either.

Never had any desire to load cast bullets. In fact I never load cast anything. Always jacketed hollow points. 452.5 Hornady's for me in the 250 grain weight. I have a stack of them on the shelf about a foot high. Was just up there. I also have at least 30 boxes of Sierra 200's in 44 mag.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started casting at around 19 or 20, from a financial necessity! I’ve a few guns that have never seen a factory round or a jacketed bullet! I probably would prefer jhp’s over cast for humans, but for animals, especially the bigger ones......I like cast. When penetration is of high importance.....heavy, heat treated, WFN is hard to beat! memtb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts