Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
49,042 Posts
How fast are you pushing that coated lead bullet?

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a chronograph. I would guess that 15.1gr of powder should run them at around 1200 from a 4 inch barrel. I have loaded them hotter with up to 15.6gr but accuracy seemed a better at the lower charge and more just uses more powder and makes more recoil. The bullets did not create any problems at the higher level, no leading or anything

· Registered
49,042 Posts
IIRC, you are supposed to treat coated lead the same way as plated - 1200 max; or so I have been led to believe. I know from shotgun, rifle and handgun, slower loads typically produce the best results over maxed-out hot ones.

· Registered
12,259 Posts
That's the beauty of 357mag revolvers you can load up 38spl's or 357mag's for them. When I first started out shooting the 357mag revolver was my favorite and still is one of my favorites replaced by the 45colt/45acp. My first revolver was a colt diamonback and then a colt python, boy how i wished I kept them.$$$$$$$

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IIRC, you are supposed to treat coated lead the same way as plated - 1200 max; or so I have been led to believe. I know from shotgun, rifle and handgun, slower loads typically produce the best results over maxed-out hot ones.
I sent an email to the guy that makes the bullets I am using to see if I should limit them to 1200fps. This is his reply:

I have shot a good bit of 125 gr 9mm out of a PCC carbine at 1500fps just to see how the coating holds up. For me shooting 100 shot groups I had no buildup in the barrel. The groups did not open up and the gun was very clean after shooting them, just like jacketed. I have customers shooting them in IHMSA 44 mags at 1400fps and USPSA race guns at 1350+. No far no complaints.

Donny

I used all the 158gr bullets I had until Monday, when another 1500 should arrive. Today I loaded 100 of my coated 130gr bullets. I used 7.4gr of Unique and a magnum primer. I usually load these with 7.5gr and a regular small pistol primer. I load these to shoot in my lighter revolvers like my 3" model 60 & SP101. These hit pretty close to the same point as my 158gr load with my adjustable sight revolvers
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Had time this afternoon between other tasks so I loaded another 100 if my 130gr loads for 357 magnum
Ammunition Lipstick Bullet Cosmetics Material property

That’s enough of these for now. Got a 62 pound box of bullets the other day so I have more 158gr magnums to load.

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I loaded these yesterday using a 158gr Hi-Tek coated RNFP bullet and 9.5gr of Blue Dot powder. About 1150fps with enough flash & boom to let you know you’re shooting magnums
Ammunition Material property Bullet Gun accessory

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same bullet with these but used 15 grains of Winchester 296. These are as close as I go to a "full power" load unless loading an XTP
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Shotgun Metal

· Registered
199 Posts
I’ve loaded coated lead over 1800fps with no problems at all. IIRC the load was 130gr HyTek Coated pushed by 21gr of H110 Out of a 8 3/8” Mod 686. There are some guys that shoot at my range that push coated lead over 2000fps out of Carbines and they say they get no leading at all. I shoot very few magnum loads these days. Just enough to keep my revolvers ready for Hogs. One thing to keep in mind is coated lead will give higher velocity than jacket bullets with equal powder charges.

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve loaded coated lead over 1800fps with no problems at all. IIRC the load was 130gr HyTek Coated pushed by 21gr of H110 Out of a 8 3/8” Mod 686. There are some guys that shoot at my range that push coated lead over 2000fps out of Carbines and they say they get no leading at all. I shoot very few magnum loads these days. Just enough to keep my revolvers ready for Hogs. One thing to keep in mind is coated lead will give higher velocity than jacket bullets with equal powder charges.
I dont limit my charge to 15gr of Win 296 because of fear of leading or anything. Those shoot well for me and no sense in beating up the gun or me more than needed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.