Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any body ever drilled and mounted a set of Ruger medalions in grips. Or does any one know of a site that shows how to do it and not get the wood splintering when you drill it etc.
My uncle made some grips for his new vaqueros out of Oregon mahogany and I surfed around and bought him some medalions to put on them.He is not sure how to drill and counter sink them worrying about messing up the wood when he does it. The wood he used is extremely hard and he has a lot of hours in making the grips and doesnt want to mess them up when he goes to mount the medalions.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You might want to get a hold of 41 Magnum over on the Ruger forum as he's a custom Ruger grip guy. I'd bet he'd know.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60533

I've only ever swapped medallions out with case heads and have never drilled a new hole for one. I'd imagine you'd want to start with a pilot hole and work your way up. I do believe there's a Dremel tip for carving that is about the same circumference as a Ruger medallion, but I'm not 100% on that.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks But I cant get into the ruger forum. I have a satelight hook up and no isp e-mail I use G mail and I cannot join.Wish I could its a nice site from lurking in it.
I did find out the best way to do it though. I was told to get a Forstener bit and scribe around the medalion with a exacto knive then put masking tape over the area to be counter sunk and drill through the tape. So thats how he is gonna do it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
yes, a 1/2 inch Forstner bit will work, make sure the piece is 'locked ' down good and the depth gauge is "set", not much is needed...the point ( tip ) of the bit will leave you a small divot to continue and drill another 5/32 hole through the grip panel , for the 'stem' of the medallion....in the old days, they would have a counter bore on the reverse ( back) side, to allow the stem to be "staked" in place.........today most folks just glue them in.
Measure twice, drill once....take your time. kfjdrfirii

1 - 4 of 4 Posts