Smith And Wesson Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
We're back on for this 2020 autumn/2021winter season. We're in a severe drought and the ground has been very hard, rabbits have eaten down range grass, leaving little stubble and hard dirt to walk on. Yesterday, Thursday, there was a good soaking rain, .89" from our neighborhood weather station. This AM walking the German Shepherds, came across a 5" wide, mountain lion footprint, partially in soft dirt and partially in coarse sand. I couldn't visually see the three base pad
lobes, but could distinctly feel the touch in coarse sand.

Now let's go back several weeks, two distinctive lion scat locations, one in a large field and the other close to mesquite. The major clue was when one of the German Shepherds found what appeared to be a goat leg bone at a short distance, she ran off with it before I could get a better look. Sent out an email to neighbors, domestic goat(s) plural, missing from a neighbor w/i half mile from our home.

Thought I would share this from Arizona Game & Fish, basically common sense;

Here's what to look for to determine mountain lion foot print;

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Forgot to add, carrying a Steyr M40-A1/4", Double Tap 125gr Barnes TAC-XP jhp @1460fps, also back-up magazine Double Tap 200gr WFN while in dense mesquite. Will do a follow-up presentation pistol caliber carbine Beretta CX4 Storm (M96 magazines), the 200gr WFNs function reliably in both platforms. :)

·
Registered
23,313 Posts
We haven't seen lion tracks within 50 yards of our house for 3-4 days now... they come to the trough for water @ night regularly.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
20,140 Posts
Irv, While not very close, 50 yds. still presents a danger. How fast would the Mountain Lion cover that amount of ground, if he decided that you look pretty good, for his next meal.? You're pretty scrawny pickings, but I know that you are probably armed, with a hand gun, just in case. If I knew that a cat was that close, a shotgun with buckshot would be a good idea.....with the pistol/revolver back up.

Not that I live that close to danger, but that's why I always carry some pretty hefty loads. It makes sense to me, to never carry light loads. Bob

·
Registered
23,313 Posts
Irv, While not very close, 50 yds. still presents a danger. How fast would the Mountain Lion cover that amount of ground, if he decided that you look pretty good, for his next meal.? You're pretty scrawny pickings, but I know that you are probably armed, with a hand gun, just in case. If I knew that a cat was that close, a shotgun with buckshot would be a good idea.....with the pistol/revolver back up.

Not that I live that close to danger, but that's why I always carry some pretty hefty loads. It makes sense to me, to never carry light loads. Bob

Bob, a lion came @ me from 35 yards once, I was fast enough drawing my .357... come visit some time, a little excitement might chase away some of your grumpiness!

Reactions: bearcat6

·
Registered
20,140 Posts
I would love to come visit you, but I have waited too long. Maybe 10 years ago, but I'm no longer in decent enough shape to make the trip of two thousand miles anymore. This COVID 19 stuff hasn't got me yet, but I am awaiting the vaccine. It has me 'locked down' in Mass for the time being, which is a restriction on my travels to WMASS. only.

The older I get, the worse I get! Losing my hearing also these days, since I shot the M-36 without ear muff, when I took Donna out to practice. o_O I've got some small,in your ear hearing aids, but I don't use 'em much. I just need to get them adjusted right. They are pretty good. Bob

101 - 106 of 106 Posts