Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for advice for what bullet weight and manufacture seem to shoot the most accurate groups from an M&P 2.0. I recently purchased a full size 9mm with a 5" barrel in the earth color. This is not for self defense ammo but rather FMJ for shooting at the range and plinking.... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated ....

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Federal or Winchester 115gr for plinking will be fine.Usually any brass or aluminum will work. I try to stay away form steel by any manufacturer.

·
Registered
19,731 Posts
I have found that 124s - overall - do the best in all of my 9mms from a wide variety of makers. Since I just ordered 1000 rounds of Speer Gold Dots for half price, they should go well with the Speer 124 FMJ Lawman I use for practice.

Reactions: 1av8r

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was kind of thinking along the same lines with the 124 grain, I have a 1000+ rounds of 115 grain ammo and am getting ready to get another 1000 with the Free Shipping that is currently being sold on line. I was kind of considering the Aguila, Geco, CCI Brass or the less expensive Aluminum cased, The M&P 2.0 has a 1 in 10" twist and I would think it would stabilize the 124 grain best... My Sig P239 loves the 115 grain ammo I have in stock anyway... Any first hand experience with the Geco or Aguila Brands of ammo?...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I read somewhere a while back that the 9mm was originally designed for the 124 gr. That said, I enjoy shooting the 115 a wee bit better. I like CCI brass from my local LGS to support them but TargetSportsUSA is good for online.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
A 4 inch barrel develops less muzzle velocity than a 5 inch barrel does. That changes the ballistics of the round as it flies.

The longer barrel also impacts your sight picture, and it's stability in hand.

The different muzzle velocities, impact of barrel length on bullet weight and shape, powder burn rate and other details all combine in a complex way.

Sometimes experiment is the best way to determine this kind of thing. Note that reloading manuals often publish the most accurate load for a given bullet, but it's generally shot from a five inch instrumented test barrel.

Will it matter in a practical sense? Consider the typical self defense distance. If you're a bullseye shooter, it's another thing completely.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
14 Posts
A 4 inch barrel develops less muzzle velocity than a 5 inch barrel does. That changes the ballistics of the round as it flies.

The longer barrel also impacts your sight picture, and it's stability in hand.

The different muzzle velocities, impact of barrel length on bullet weight and shape, powder burn rate and other details all combine in a complex way.

Sometimes experiment is the best way to determine this kind of thing. Note that reloading manuals often publish the most accurate load for a given bullet, but it's generally shot from a five inch instrumented test barrel.

Will it matter in a practical sense? Consider the typical self defense distance. If you're a bullseye shooter, it's another thing completely.
I might try the Speer Lawman 115 gr along with the 115 Speer Gold Dot's and go from there, appreciate the info!

·
Registered
19,731 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did get out this past Saturday to a friends Farm and shot 4 mags of ammo. Two mags of Augila 124 gr and two of the Federal 115, not a great deal of difference but the 124 gr seem to have the edge. I can say the M&P 2.0 was a dream to shoot, low recoil impulse and it just sticks to your hand like glue, I am impressed. A little rattle between the slide and frame rails when you shake it but seems to have no effect on accuracy as far as I can see.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Asking for advice for what bullet weight and manufacture seem to shoot the most accurate groups from an M&P 2.0. I recently purchased a full size 9mm with a 5" barrel in the earth color. This is not for self defense ammo but rather FMJ for shooting at the range and plinking.... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated ....
For "earth color" guns one needs to use biodegradable 124 gr bullets.;)

Try several brands, really not gonna matter. Any name brand decent ammo, For range blasting go with the cheapest. The shooter matters more.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
My M&P 2.0 full size with 4.25” barrel seems to like 124 grain bullets. 115’s are so available and cheap I shoot a lot of them. This is very unscientific but when I shoot 124’s I notice smaller group sizes. Really liked American Eagle 124 FMJ. My local Academy had a great sale on 150 round boxes of Browning 124 grain FMJ, getting ready to try some of them this week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was on the Academy web site and ordered the 150 rounds of the Browning 124 gr also, to qualify for free shipping I had to spend at least $25 so I so I included a box of 22LR. Looking forward to trying them out, so far here in Virginia the weather has been pretty mild so far this winter which is fine by me.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Most individuals simply can not shoot accurately from standing at 25&50 Yds with a handgun. I've noted this over the decades. One Sportsmen's club I was a member of I approached the range committee person inquiring why there was no 7Yd line on the handgun range. He in essence said the handgun range was set up for Bullseye target shooting. I then asked why there were no scheduled match's as an example (DCM) such as was conducted on the rifle range. His reply was there was not enough interest in Bullseye shooting. So with his permission I put in a 7Yd line. There was a dramatic increase in pistol range usage.

As far as the 9x19mm, I do not see that much difference in accuracy between generic FMJ 115 & 124 Gr weight wise if the quality is the same as opposed to generic low cost brands that are sold in bulk. Garbage in thus Garbage out applies!

I'm in the twilight of my shooting, as I started out at MCRD Parris Island SC in 1964 with the 1911A1 with two 7Rd magazines for familiarization firing in 1964. Service grade semiautomatic pistols are what they are. Examples being Glock, SIG and S&W being examples.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having problems with my M&P9 2.0 5" shooting like a shot gun.
I'm using 115 gr coated lead, I hand sorted into 4 weight groups.
I'm using Bullseye 4 grains, inserted to 1.169 inches. I measure each round.
I'm using a bench, and still get shotgun patterns at 25 yards of 5" to 7".
I've tried 3.8 grains of Bullseye, 4.2 grains of Bullseye, and changing insertion to 1.150"
Nothing works.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
Why not open a new thread for this. Don't add to an existing thread. Put this in the reloading or new user forums.

On background, I tried coated bullets, and abandoned them years ago. What loading guide are you following?

Please either ask the Mods to move this, or open a new individual thread to continue. Marc

Reactions: 1av8r

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why not open a new thread for this. Don't add to an existing thread. Put this in the reloading or new user forums.

On background, I tried coated bullets, and abandoned them years ago. What loading guide are you following?

Please either ask the Mods to move this, or open a new individual thread to continue. Marc
In what way does my thread not fit the discussion?
I clearly posted the sorting and different formula's I have tried.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I’ve noted that the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) provided 124gr ammo for their clinics at Camp Perry for the M9 (5 inch barrel). I ran 124gr in both my Beretta 92 and Ruger SR9 compact with excellent results.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts