Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Try some Federal 124 gr FMJ RN. I shoot what I use for concealed carry. I assume your Shield is 9mm? jmo p.s. I tested some 124 gr 9mm Copper Plus hollow points, and they had the same POI as the RN ammo did.

·
Premium Member
12,671 Posts
With consistent properly manufactured ammo the greatest variability in accuracy is you.

Don't obsess on the ammo. Obsess on the training. Focus on trigger control and consistent hold control. Remember, that of the two (sight alignment and sight picture) sight alignment is the more important and will contribute more to accurate shot placement.

In most evaluations they use time to artificially create tension. You should have plenty of time to get off the required shots accurately so it's often best to ignore time limits and just pace things fast enough to leave a little extra time if you need it to clear a jam.

Learn to press check to ensure your chamber is loaded before an exercise. Learn to recover if you get a jam or mis-feed.

Make sure that your firearm functions reliably with the ammo you choose. This problem alone can cause you to score low enough to not pass...

Reactions: dennis40xnc

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
With consistent properly manufactured ammo the greatest variability in accuracy is you.

Don't obsess on the ammo. Obsess on the training. Focus on trigger control and consistent hold control. Remember, that of the two (sight alignment and sight picture) sight alignment is the more important and will contribute more to accurate shot placement.

In most evaluations they use time to artificially create tension. You should have plenty of time to get off the required shots accurately so it's often best to ignore time limits and just pace things fast enough to leave a little extra time if you need it to clear a jam.

Learn to press check to ensure your chamber is loaded before an exercise. Learn to recover if you get a jam or mis-feed.

Make sure that your firearm functions reliably with the ammo you choose. This problem alone can cause you to score low enough to not pass...
This ^

Also every gun is going to be different so what works for me may not work for you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,482 Posts
I have found that in my 9mm shield, 115gr ammo will shoot low. I carry and shoot 124gr ammo and sometimes 147gr. Even the 124's seem to hit just a tad low and the 147's hit right where I put the white dot on my front sight

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
If this is going to be used for self defense, bullet expansion and stopping power is much more necessary than accuracy.
Speer Gold Dot, or Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty are designed specifically for these requirements.
As long as you can place 6-8 rounds in a 6-8" paper plate at 15 yds, you'll be good to go.

The ultimate goal is to always be within the "Minute of Bad Guy" accuracy range.
Hit them first, and hit them hard.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
154 Posts
For the test, I simply used Federal Champion from WalMart.
Just practice with it a few times before 'Test Day'.

Also... Most CC practical (shooting) exams are very liberal, points wise. They're often paying more attention to your ability to safely handle and manipulate your potential CC weapon than they are in your ability to drill out the Bulls eye.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts