Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First we had the couple that took fish tank cleaner as a cure for COVID-19... and now this:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/hundreds-dead-iran-methanol-coronavirus-protection

I'm beginning to think that the CDC needs to add "a sudden lack of common sense thinking" to the symptoms, right next to "an overwhelming need to buy excessive amounts of toilet paper".

It's really sad that the flames of fear (and I blame the media's unrelentling reporting for fueling/fanning those flames), is leading to such tragedies.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
It's really sad that the flames of fear (and I blame the media's relentless reporting for fueling/fanning those flames), is leading to such tragedies.
It's a win/win for them. The more tragedy, the better. That's their mindset.

Bunch of ghouls IMO. :(

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Your link isn't working for me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's really sad that the flames of fear (and I blame the media's relentless reporting for fueling/fanning those flames), is leading to such tragedies.
How is it a tragedy if IDIOTS are eliminated from the population? Are they in short supply? Like the "tragedy" when a junkie ODs.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Methonal is a liquid chemical that is colorless,volatile, flammable and poisonous. Poisonous being the operative word.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Idiots dying is always a tragedy to liberals, they're one of their own
The fact that they are Islamic idiots makes it a double tragedy.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
So, in the usual media fashion the edge case idiot rises to the level of mainstream.

Nearly every outlet does it, even ones I visit most often.

This is the time to go "huh" and move on.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Methonal is a liquid chemical that is colorless,volatile, flammable and poisonous. Poisonous being the operative word.
Since it was still legal to make & buy during Prohibition (unlike ethanol--drinking alcohol), it was sometimes added to bootleg liquor. In low doses it wasn't lethal, but it could & did cause permanent blindness, which was often played up in gangster movies of the time. Although during Prohibition, there was so much illegal ethanol being produced domestically & smuggled from Canada, that most bootleg liquor was actually quite safe. (Though not noted for its smoothness!)

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
So... they have a state religion that prohibits consumption of alcohol for any reason.... Chemically that's "ethanol".

Iran social media convinced a considerable number of people that "methanol" (a poison) is the cure for Covid-19 (which must be widespread in their country now).

They drink the poison.

Does anything about this strike you as irrational? Delusional?

The same things, properly manipulated, create jihadists ready to kill themselves while they spread violence against innocents.

That's 36,594 attacks (and roughly half a million killed and injured) since 9/11/2001.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The same things, properly manipulated, create jihadists ready to kill themselves while they spread violence against innocents.
If you believe in the 72 virgins Allah grants to "martyrs" (or rather, in the civilized world, "murderers"), to believe methanol will cure you is not a stretch.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Let's not forget about Jonestown.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It goes without saying – methanol AIN’T ethanol. I know we often joke about curing an ailment (in this case COVID-19) “from the inside with alcohol”, but there are 3 types: isopropyl, methyl, and ethyl. Isopropyl alcohol – called isopropanol, aka “rubbing alcohol”, is strictly for external usage. Methyl alcohol, also called methanol, or wood alcohol, is used primarily as an industrial solvent, such as paint remover, and it’s a main component in photocopier developers. Formaldehyde forms as a byproduct of degrading methanol. It’s also used as a fuel in engines – think AA fuel dragsters. Alcohol consumable internally by humans is limited to ONLY ethyl alcohol, sometimes called grain alcohol. When a society such as Iran’s bans “alcohol”, it isn’t surprising that the rank-and-file individual isn’t aware of the differing types of “alcohol”, and thus makes the mistaken assumption that “alcohol’s alcohol”, and ingests whatever type’s available, given the further mistaken assumption that one can “cure COVID-19 from the inside with alcohol".

·
Registered
718 Posts
Let's not forget about Jonestown.
What I can't forget about is the $20 million Carter flushed to have their bloated corpses airlifted back to warehouses where few were ever claimed by relatives. They died in the place they intended to live, so where was the disrespect in having them buried there?

·
Banned
918 Posts
So NOW we have to literally tell people "don't drink petroleum products". HOW are people getting THIS stupid?

·
Registered
718 Posts
It goes without saying – methanol AIN’T ethanol. I know we often joke about curing an ailment (in this case COVID-19) “from the inside with alcohol”, but there are 3 types: isopropyl, methyl, and ethyl. Isopropyl alcohol – called isopropanol, aka “rubbing alcohol”, is strictly for external usage. Methyl alcohol, also called methanol, or wood alcohol, is used primarily as an industrial solvent, such as paint remover, and it’s a main component in photocopier developers. Formaldehyde forms as a byproduct of degrading methanol. It’s also used as a fuel in engines – think AA fuel dragsters. Alcohol consumable internally by humans is limited to ONLY ethyl alcohol, sometimes called grain alcohol. When a society such as Iran’s bans “alcohol”, it isn’t surprising that the rank-and-file individual isn’t aware of the differing types of “alcohol”, and thus makes the mistaken assumption that “alcohol’s alcohol”, and ingests whatever type’s available, given the further mistaken assumption that one can “cure COVID-19 from the inside with alcohol".
Methanol poisons liquor, but now ethanol poisons our gasoline! And grain that could be used to feed people & livestock (or make hand-sanitizer) is converted into poison for gas engines!

·
Registered
351 Posts
About those 72 virgins – I do have a problem when some maniac’s coming at me screaming “death to the infidels, death to Americans”. In that situation, I think sending him to his valhalla’s doing him a favor. And, I hope his 72 virgins are greasy, fat, ugly, smelly, old guys with missing teeth, and terrible halitosis. This is the society that doesn’t know the difference between ethyl, methyl, and/or isopropyl alcohol – there are some level of stupidity that just can’t be fixed, no matter how much one may wish to, and one just has to accept that as a fact of life . . .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts