Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the wide serrated triggers on my S&W revolvers to be detrimental to best DA shooting. Same for a wide smooth trigger that came on one of them.

Spare triggers not being easily come by on this side of the dmz, I've ground three down to standard width and got rid of the serrations. I do this on a bench grinder, break the edges with a Dremel then spend a LOT of time with emery cloth bringing them to a mirror finish. If it's a trigger for a blued gun, cold blue works well.

I can then index so well that there is never a need for SA mode. Am I alone in my preference for a narrow smooth trigger for DA shooting?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Best trigger I've used is this factory checkered one. Too bad they haven't offered it in longer than I've been alive.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Much prefer a smooth trigger face and like the ones that used to be called combat triggers and were in between the width of a standard and a target.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I find the wide serrated triggers on my S&W revolvers to be detrimental to best DA shooting. Same for a wide smooth trigger that came on one of them.

Spare triggers not being easily come by on this side of the dmz, I've ground three down to standard width and got rid of the serrations. I do this on a bench grinder, break the edges with a Dremel then spend a LOT of time with emery cloth bringing them to a mirror finish. If it's a trigger for a blued gun, cold blue works well.

I can then index so well that there is never a need for SA mode. Am I alone in my preference for a narrow smooth trigger for DA shooting?
I just sent 2 Model 19s to Smith yesterday to have re-blued and have the Master Revolver Action Package preformed. On the 4" 19-2 I left in the std hammer and installed a K frame target trigger. On the 2.5" 19-3, I installed a NOS factory bobbed hammer and factory combat trigger. I like the latter best in a carry gun.
I have smoothed the serrations off some N frame targets for LEOs before and kinda like that, but it all boils down to what works best for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I prefer smooth triggers, and I do not like wide triggers for any purpose. On older guns which have a narrow serrated trigger, I can get used to that, and it is acceptable to me for both single and double action. But I cannot get used to wide triggers, they just don't feel right or fit my hand. I occasionally shoot single action with friend's guns that have a wide target trigger, but I don't even bother with a double action shot with a wide trigger.

Of course, trigger preferences are very personal. Almost every double action shooter I know prefers smooth triggers, but Jerry Miculek prefers a serrated trigger for double action. In fact, he specified a serrated trigger for his JM model S&W revolvers. I always mention this to people who are considering a JM model, because they often don't expect or want serrations, even if they like the other features. But if you buy a JM model, you get the features that Jerry likes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my parts bin, I have accumulated four S&W triggers - wide/serrated, narrow (std) serrated. I've settled on standard width/smooth as best all round for me. One of my guns wears the medium width/smooth "Combat" trigger.

In removing the trigger to work on it, I made the mistake of separating it from the hand. Had to told the trigger in a padded vise to get the arm of the coil spring back in position with a small screwdriver. PITA ....

I used the Brownell's tool to remove the rebound slide/spring but it's useless to reinstall it. TWICE I lost control of the spring as it headed for "parts unknown", ricocheting in my cluttered shop. Miraculously, it turned up on the floor both times! I used a Phillips screwdriver which allows you to compress the spring while the retaining pin slides into one of the grooves on the screwdriver tip. Easy-peasy.

Lessons learned ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts