Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Welcome from Iowa.
That is not a Pre 27. Looks like a Pre M10. Does it say S&W .38 Special CTG on the side of the barrel?
As far as the serial number I am stumped. Hopefully somebody smarter than me will be along.
Jim

·
Registered
920 Posts
Perhaps that is a model 13, they came in .357 magnum with fixed sights and unshrouded ejector rods ( I believe). Since the hammer and trigger are silver either the gun was re-nickeled or they were treated with hard chrome or some other coating. Unless this is a stainless gun to start with. Way to many questions.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Hey 53,

Welcome to S&W.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just trying to figure out what my 357 is and what its worth. Just took a chance and bought at auction so I will attach the auction pictures.
Looks like a pretty beat up Model 65. I don't think nickel would scratch like that, it chips instead. The hammer and trigger are also stainless steel, if that is a M65. Factory nickel plating has color case hardened trigger and hammer, up until MIM parts started. The SN dates the gun to approximately 1993. I found BPB, BPD, and BPE, but not BPC, and "logically" it would be in that sequence, but sometimes S&W didn't sequentially number the guns.

If it is mechanically sound, it should be a good shooter, hope you didn't pay a lot for it, though; looks like it has spent a lot of time sliding around on a floorboard.

·
Registered
15,683 Posts
Looks like a pretty beat up Model 65. I don't think nickel would scratch like that, it chips instead. The hammer and trigger are also stainless steel, if that is a M65. Factory nickel plating has color case hardened trigger and hammer, up until MIM parts started. The SN dates the gun to approximately 1993. I found BPB, BPD, and BPE, but not BPC, and "logically" it would be in that sequence, but sometimes S&W didn't sequentially number the guns.

If it is mechanically sound, it should be a good shooter, hope you didn't pay a lot for it, though; looks like it has spent a lot of time sliding around on a floorboard.
Actually my 64-3 and 2, 686 no dash's have forged triggers & hammers that are flash chromed. They started doing that on the stainless guns around 1979-80

1 - 11 of 11 Posts