Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I haven't had the chance to be on this website much, since we switched over to the new format. It's good to be back.

I have a Model 686-4 (4" Barrel) that I have several questions about. I'm not that familiar with wheel guns.
1). The screw that holds the yoke to the frame does not have a spring attached to it. I was careful when I removed the screw (inside an aquarium). Is there suppose to be a spring for this model? I am under the impression that there was suppose to be one.

2). When I put the yoke and cylinder back onto the frame, after cleaning, and go to close the cylinder, it binds and will not let me close it. I know "not" to force it. After several tries it will close in place with no difficulty. Sometimes after the cylinder has been opened and closed with no problems, it will bind when I try to close it. This doesn't happen very often, the binding mainly happens when I replace the cylinder and yoke after removal. Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

Kirt

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Kirt,

the screw holding the cylinder in place is the older type its how they used to be. The spring is the newer design and may come on the "-5" version (I'm not sure on this)

The binding is normal for awhile until the gun really gets shot and used alot. It should smooth right in and be great.

Enjoy.

Chris

·
Registered
753 Posts
The new guns have a larger screw and have a press fit spring attached to the screw. This one is the old type and therefore no spring.
The binding is not normal, and there are 2 possible answers. Did you mix up the screws??
If you did, switch them back and the binding will go away. (the bottom screws are the same type) The second answer if the screws are not mixed up is the gun was not fitted properly. If you want to correct the binding, take a file and file down the screw end (one or two strokes at a time) and then screw it back in tight. Check the yoke and it's swing. Set it for a light drag, but not a bind.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
500 mag,

that is a very good point I hadn't thought or condsidered that. It will be an easy fix in that case and all should be fine.

Chris

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
500 Magnum Nut said:
The binding is not normal, and there are 2 possible answers. Did you mix up the screws??
If you did, switch them back and the binding will go away. (the bottom screws are the same type) The second answer if the screws are not mixed up is the gun was not fitted properly. If you want to correct the binding, take a file and file down the screw end (one or two strokes at a time) and then screw it back in tight. Check the yoke and it's swing. Set it for a light drag, but not a bind.

Thanks for the input. The only screw that I removed was the one that retains the yoke. (I do not have the experience, nor do I want to work on the internals, at this point time.) I will try out filing the end of the screw.

Thanks for your help!

Kirt

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
500 Magnum,

I filed the end of the screw just as you had suggested and that did the job. :D

Thanks again, for your help!

Kirt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts