Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe this has LEW Horton combat grips 2 1/2 inch barrel. I took it to a dealer he agreed it’s unfired. 686-1 has M stamp. I have box and all the paper work. The dealer valued it at 800 but I think it’s more. I was curious what your guys thoughts were? It has a scratch on it the dealer said it looks like just the surface and a professional could take care of it most likely.
serial number ANT00xx. I appreciate the help. I picked it up at an estate sale for 500 and I don’t own the catalog for S&W.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could see that. good to get a second opinion. Looks like he nailed it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You did most well.

I bought this 686-1 from a person that carried it in his glove box for a couple years for $500.

A couple hours with some 800 sand paper and mothers polish cleaned it of great. I did send it back for the M stamp.

If I had to sell it, I wouldn't take less than $850, no intentions of ever parting with it as long as I aint dead,

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
$1k plus on a GB auction..easily. Snubby Magnuns are hot right now and a "Lew Horton" adds interest to many..even though its not really anything special. Great looking piece.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
You did most well.

I bought this 686-1 from a person that carried it in his glove box for a couple years for $500.

A couple hours with some 800 sand paper and mothers polish cleaned it of great. I did send it back for the M stamp.

If I had to sell it, I wouldn't take less than $850, no intentions of ever parting with it as long as I aint dead,

Nice clean up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
While Lew Horton did have a lot of guns with the factory combat grips, the grips alone does not make it a Lew Horton Gun. The factory combats like yours could be special ordered for a “standard” S&W. While @jonsey814 is correct about the value of the grips, it would have to be documented as a Lew Horton to have extra value. I have it’s twin and wouldn’t consider selling mine for less than 1k and mine is slightly used.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am always attracted to the 686 ... Even in standard 4 in. The limited run of 3 in. Is very appealing.
The Sheriff of Jefferson Co. Oh. ( friend of mine) has a few of the different variants . His 686 carry piece , wears Ivory grips ...
And the degree of which he handles that gun, would rival Bill Jordan.
Have to get another , for my own again. Pics always get me fired up ... Thanks to you Guys.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
22,038 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on a nice score. Beautiful 686...enjoy.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts