Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Your post was in moderation for some reason.

Are you looking on the bottom of the grip frame? I think you’re looking on the swing out crane that holds the cylinder. That is an assembly number. The official serial number for Smith Revolvers are almost always on the bottom of the grip frame. It’s likely a triple alpha prefix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Your post was in moderation for some reason.

Are you looking on the bottom of the grip frame? I think you’re looking on the swing out crane that holds the cylinder. That is an assembly number. The official serial number for Smith Revolvers are almost always on the bottom of the grip frame. It’s likely a triple alpha prefix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Introduced 1980's model 681 is a fixed sight version of the 686 with adjustable sights. Being stainless it was used by law enforcement and not many can be found in good shape or for sale. I don't know how many dash numbers it goes to and assume will have same changes as 686. I had the blued version M581 many years ago

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Nope. It's fully numeric. I see most folks do not send pictures of serial numbers on any of these forums. I'm not sure why that is. Here's a photo of the serial number.
That, Sir, is an assembly number. The serial number would be on the bottom face of the grip frame.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
welcome01 to the forum.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
From what I have seen. The S&W revolvers, sold commercially in Europe are slightly different than those sold in the US. Usually it is a small difference, like a different font used in the rollmark, or a slightly different set of sights or grips

1 - 18 of 18 Posts