Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Smith 669 has a squared-off trigger guard that's checkered. Any reason for this? Reading up on it I discovered that some LEOs had a smith checker the front of a rounded trigger guard on that model, but with no explanation as to why. Any purpose for the trigger guard being checkered? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Super Moderator
19,374 Posts
Checkering was done to give the user a better purchase on the guard. when the 669 was designed many agencies were training their officers to use the two handed grip, with the left index finger wrapped aroung the trigger guard. Checkering helped keep the grip solid during an entire shooting evolution.
My 669 trigger guard is also checkered. My brother in law showed me how to hold it the way described, but it was uncomfortable for me, so I never use that style.

Reactions: 5150

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checkering was done to give the user a better purchase on the guard. when the 669 was designed many agencies were training their officers to use the two handed grip, with the left index finger wrapped aroung the trigger guard. Checkering helped keep the grip solid during an entire shooting evolution.
My 669 trigger guard is also checkered. My brother in law showed me how to hold it the way described, but it was uncomfortable for me, so I never use that style.
I get it now. At the risk of sounding ignorant, are there any others like that, Smith or otherwise? This is the first one I remember seeing that. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The round guard on my 5906 is checkered but don't use it did on a smaller 469 with square guard

·
Premium Member
17,288 Posts
Most of the semi's that were manufactured around that time were made with that squared trigger guard. I have a later one that has a rounded guard with a checkered area in front, and an even later one with 3 grooves cut vertically in front.

Reactions: 5150

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
It depended on the order and who Smith Wesson was doing the guns for. First the squared trigger guards were for using the gun with GLOVED HANDS in winter time. to extend the trigger finger of the non shooting hand beyond the trigger onto the guard . Some departments taught this . It was carried over to non gloved shooting and using the trigger finger of the non shooting hand to help hold the gun. Checkering , regardless of the round trigger guard or square trigger guard was added. However later it was found that gripping the trigger guard during the shooting caused the shooter to shoot low. as he would pull down on the trigger guard during the shot . Teaching this technique was reversed in the early 1990's and the full wrap grip taught with the flying thumb technique. It depended on when the gun was made and for whom. ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts