Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
The S&W 66 is a medium frame, ie., K-Frame. In initial k-frame production it was chambered in .38 Special. When the 19 and later 66 were produced, the was chambered in .357 S&W Magnum. Using 158 gr. ammunition, it gave extremely good results. No problems w/ throat erosion, cracked forcing cone, etc. The 125 gr. JHP's caused problems as the revolver was not actually designed for such a load. There were reports of forcing cone cracking. Others reported firing their revolvers with the 125 gr. Magnum loads with no problems over many years of use. If you wish, load and shoot your 66 with the 158 gr. magnum ammunition. Very much doubt you will have any problems. Your hand will fall off before your revolver gives trouble. For or carry, etc., load it with the 158 gr. load or drop in the lighter 125 gr. loads. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bruce, I also started shooting my own reloads using 5 gr of bullseye with 158 gr LSWC. Its much easier to shoot. I am experimenting with different loads and hope to come up with an accurate load that is a pleasure to shoot.
Again Thank You
Stan

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
I like my targwt shooting with true magnum loads in the model 28. I have 'less than magnum but more than 38 +P' loads for my K frame .357s. It's more fun, easier on my arthritis ravaged hands, and fun. Find your favorite 158 gr hard cast bullet load and fire away.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Do not beat that M66 up. Full loads are OK, but not always. A K frame M19 or M66 will eventually have problems if full 357 loads are used exclusively. Pretty sure why the L frame came about. I do not load to mag. specs. Hard on the gun and hands. Mild 38 loads will give you the best accuracy and not beat up on your M66. Big Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts