Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are talking two different frame sizes, but these two 357's seem to be roughly comparable in the Smith line-up of 357 stainless. Which is considered to be the more desirable model? I have a 686 4", which I really enjoy and a model 36 nickel. Those shiny ones are really something! I'm trying to rationalize getting a model 66, but am not sure I 'need' one. C'mon - somebody convince me! You can tell that I'm a relatively new convert from the semi-autos. After I shot a 38 and enjoyed the much better build and craftsmanship of the S&W revolvers and especially the nice, tight triggers - I like the revolvers much better!
By the way - the information you all here on this board offer actually got me interested in the classics in the first place. Now, I've seen the light!

Regards,
RR

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
jwr0201 said:
I'm trying to rationalize getting a model 66, but am not sure I 'need' one. C'mon - somebody convince me!
When "rationalize" and "need" are used together, they actually cancel each other out. And since nature abhors a vacuum, it is then filled with "want".

At least that's what lets me sleep at night. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Hi jwr

I have a 686+ 6" and a model 60 2" and felt I "needed" a model 66 3" to fill the gap so to speak. But after watching the outrageous and still climbing prices of 2", 3", and 4" model 66's on the auction sites I've decided I don't need one as badly as I thought...LOL. My nice old model 64 will do nicely.

After giving up on that idea, I turned to some older model K-22's and K-38's to explore a new area and satisfy my "wants". I've found a lot of fun and satisfaction in owning a couple of really nice 1950's S & W classics and they are great fun to handle, shoot, and clean.

There are a lot of different S & W revolvers out there and it's fun to look around and wonder which one you think you might "need" next...LOL You only go around once, get what you want! :)

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Since you already have an in-town SD M-36 2" (.38spl.), and
a M-686 4" (.357) for woods carry SD, I'd say you're pretty well covered. kfjdrfirii A M-66 is just icing on the cake. If you
want it......you should get it. But, you're gonna have to pay a steep price for it. They're going for $450+ for a nice one. Is it worth it to you???? :eek: Bob

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I carried a M19 for years when I was in uniform. I enjoyed the weight and accuracy. I used a couple of 686s in competition and preferred the added weight in recoil management. Also used a 3" M36 to good effect a couple of times. I still have a rarely shot M27-2. If I were to advise you, I would say the 686 for shooting, the 66 for carry. But I carry an N frame 45 ACP...

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
To me it all depends on what you want to do with it. If I was buying a carry piece I would probably opt for a 2 in 66. If I was buying a woods walking gun I would go with the 4 in 686. Also I wouldn't want to pound out hot 357 loads out of a 66 as much as a 686.

On the other hand if you just want it because you want it, then you should just get it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have both models. While my 686's, and all my L-frames for that matter, are very nice revolvers, I always choose the 66 for "serious" and competition work.

The 66 just balances better, and points faster and more naturally, for me.

My 3" 66-4 is my most used revolver. My 686-4+ is a fun range gun. My 0.02 Regards 18DAI.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
My opinion is,if your still young you should buy the 66 as it will continue to rise in value.If your old - buy it since you wont last forever and might as well own the toys you've alway's wanted kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
You already have a 686, that covers a lot of wants and needs as it is a
fine revolver; so is the lighter model 66. Choice ( for me) would depend on - is it for a different use?

The model 66 comes in a lot of different barrel lengths as well as two different type of grip styles. Anywhere beween a 2.5, 3, & 4 inch barrel to a 6 inch barrel. So a different barrel length might meet a different need.

I'll put a picture in this thread to illustate a couple of handy barrel lengths.

S&W Model 66's with 4 and 3 inch barrel lengths. The 3 inch has a Crimson Trace laser grip, perhaps not as attractive as wood but functional.

Finally, a picture of a 2.5 inch model 66 to the right of the S&W Model 15-3, 38 spl. with a two inch barrel; illustrating difference in lengths between a 2 and 2.5 inch barrel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get yourself a 2.5 inch 66,, its the gun everyone wants and for good reason. The beauty of these guns are you can sell these at the drop of a hat anytime if you get tired of it. They just keep going up. I have watched these go up 50-100 bucks a year for the past few years,, Its better than money in the bank and you can never have two many Smith and Wesson Revolvers, its like having too much money. A Model 66 to Smith and Wesson is what a Silverado pickup truck is to Chevrolet. Good American Value and a workhorse. Its fun to Drive, does the job, will go the distance and retains it value. Forget buying the wife that 42 inch Samsung TV for the kitchen and get a 66. Its the logical choice. Plus it has more pawn value. :)

John

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
John is right about the 2 1/2" M-66, they are a good investment, and a good (the best ;) ) carry gun. It's hard to beat the .357 Mag. cartridge. But..then again .........I own one of these beauties. Trouble is........I don't want to shoot it much anymore!!! :roll: Got to preserve the value, ya'know! ;) Bob

·
Registered
402 Posts
+1 to what LeMat said. I couldn't of said it any better. kfjdrfirii

Everyone should have a model 66 or 19 in their handgun battery. They are a true classic. Barrel length is up to you after you figure out what you are going to be doing with it the most. That model 686 of yours will cover all of the target shooting and range work needs, therefore I'd be looking at a 2 1/2" or 3 " barrel lenght for CCW.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Here are two 66's just to keep you in the mood!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like them both.
66-4 2.5"

CS-1 3"

The 66 weighs 34.8 oz loaded and the CS-1 weighs 39.4 oz loaded. There's really not that much differnce if you're using a quality holster and belt. I shoot the CS-1 much better though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't have it first hand but word is the IDPA 2009 Stock Service Revolver champion used a 67 instead of a 686. He claims the barrel is lower to his hand and he gets faster 2nd shots. Plus the cylinder being smaller re-loads are faster. less metal between the holes.

Fact of the matter is there is a lot of strong opinion both ways on K and L frames. How the revolver feels to you is the most important thing. I shoot the 686 better than my K Frames on targets. But would rather own and carry K frames, I just like them better. Shoot it a lot in matches with heavy loads extra weight of the 686 is nice to have.

Boats

·
Registered
619 Posts
Once I held, and shot, a K frame, I was hooked. It really is that simple. kfjdrfirii

Here is a 2 1/2" M66, and it's companion 640-1:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Poohgyrr said:
Once I held, and shot, a K frame, I was hooked. It really is that simple. kfjdrfirii

Here is a 2 1/2" M66, and it's companion 640-1:

Beautiful grips on these two! Mind sharing where the 640 grips came from? I really like the shape.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts