Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my model 66 (which I've posted a picture of before) was my first purchased S&W I never checked for the model number. I guess I just got caught up in all the excitement and shiny stainless steel. Well, today I opened the cylinder and noticed it simply says "MOD. 66". Is this then a Model 66 no dash? I'm thinking yes....... no?

What can you guys tell me about this serial 9K262XX?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
66 no dash is right, kinda.Some people have issues calling it that though. :roll: .Your gun was made in 1976.Does it have stainless steel sight's on it to?

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's all logical, they started shipping 66s in 1970, your gun was shipped in 1976 and the went to the 66-1 in 1977. Nice gun, enjoy!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Most of us would say the lower the dash # the more collectable the gun. "No dash" is about as low as you can get! nbhaof

GGF

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it does have a stainless front sight with red insert and the back appears to be carbon black. I posted a picture of it here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4803

Darn it, wish I would have figured all of this out before I put the box of shells through it. I'm going to tuck it away now.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Just curious, does the box match the revolvers model & serial number?
There has been much discussion lately about the box and original contents adding value, so I'm just curious if it is a complete set.

It would be really cool if it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
LRWest said:
Darn it, wish I would have figured all of this out before I put the box of shells through it. I'm going to tuck it away now.
Presumably it had been shot before you got it. In any case, it has now. You are not going to hurt it one bit or decrease the value if you use it. That's what you got it for was it not? ;mcp9

·
Registered
23 Posts
LRWest said:
Yes, the box does match the pistol. Kinda strange though, the label is upside down.
Actually it would be strange if it was NOT upside down. That is as it should be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts