Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve came across an S&W model 66 no dash that I am thinking about buying, I was wondering how much they typically cost? I believe it is from 1973.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! What is the barrel length? What condition is it in? Does it come with box, papers and tools?

A good way to gauge the current market is to go to gunbroker.com, open up closed auctions in advanced search and see what guns actually sold for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! What is the barrel length? What condition is it in? Does it come with box, papers and tools?

A good way to gauge the current market is to go to gunbroker.com, open up closed auctions in advanced search and see what guns actually sold for.

Thank you, I believe it has a 4 in. barrel on it. It is in really good condition. The guy who is selling it thinks he might have the box, papers, and tools somewhere but has to look and see if he can find them.

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
A 4" is pretty common. And, I presume the grips are original to the gun. In excellent condition, it might go for around $700, maybe more in other parts of the country.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
30,089 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Can't go wrong with a 66, especially a no dash. Please share pics after you get it. ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
If it is truly and early revolver with the stainless sights, it has collector value. The early revolvers did not come with 6" bbls. They came later.
The early revolvers are getting harder and harder to find. The ones with the red ramp sights are predominate.
The original box and tools is a +, and may add as much as $100 to the value of the revolver. The earlier the box, the more it is worth. The tools are the same. I'm thinking $800+ depending on condition of the revolver, and the box. Big larry

·
Registered
558 Posts
I gave a premium for the one I bought in January of 1974....$ 175.00 OTD. ;)

In today dollars, for one that is 99% + box & docs/tools...I think in the neighborhood of a grand.

Welcome to the forum

///
I can remember when the 6" came out and Montgomery Wards got a bunch in. They sold them at the list price and I bought a few of them. Well, in Calif. if you buy 2 or more guns at a time, a separate paper goes to the ATF. A while ,later, I was paid a visit at my house from 2 ATF agents wanting to know why I bought several of the new 66's. It resulted in my getting a dealers license. I bought the guns to make a substantial profit, and I did. Wards sold all they had in one day. Big Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts