Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an old snubby model 66 a few years ago. I regret selling it, but I did keep the Don Hume holster for it.
I was searching through my old box of never used holsters and ran across it.
I thought, Great! I have a model 10 snubby but this will fit. It it didn't fit and the holster seemed like it was too small, model 10 snobby trigger guard wasn't even close to fitting in the holster. Thinking that maybe I had forgotten which gun it came from, I took the holster to a gun shop, they had a old model 66 and it fit right in, but they didn't have a model 10 to try.
I took the holster back home sure my model 10 snubby would fit The holster, because I had just seen a model 66 slide right in. To my disappointment the model 10 did not fit the trigger guard was way too big, so I thought I would put my 6" model 19 in the holster, thinking the model 19 was exactly the same as my model 66 except had a longer barrel and was blue. My model 19 did not fit either, the trigger guard being way too large.
Now these are all K frame pistols, built in the 60s 70s and 80s. I'm having a hard time making myself believe that model 66 fit in that holster, if I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not believe it .
What's up this should fit!
want to take the holster back down to the gun shop and try their 66 again, except I don't want them to think I'm a half a bubble off plumb.
I'm starting to second-guess myself.
Anybody have any idea as to why my model 10, and my model 19 won't fit in a model 66 holster?

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Model 66 has an shrouded ejector rod aka partial underlug. Model 10 does not. The 6 inch 66 has a longer shroud than the snubby
setting the guns on top of each other should easily show the difference
If you read closely, he stated he tried a Model 19, which also has the underlug and it apparently didn't fit. Further, if his 'now gone' Model 66 with the underlug fit, yet his Model 10 snub sans underlug would not, how does that work? The OP seems to believe the trigger guard size on the Model 10 is the issue, but I have examples of all 3, plus I've looked at pictures and I simply can't see what is causing the problem. I don't think he's "a half bubble off plumb" as he hopes to not be the case, but something odd is in play!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
412 Posts
S&W has made some changes on the revolvers in recent years. If the 66 was an older one and the M10 is newer, that might make a difference.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
If the ejector shroud is longer on a 6 inch 19 than on a 2.5 inch 66, the end of the shroud would bottom out in the holster before the gun gets are far in as would with the snubs shorter shroud

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
If the ejector shroud is longer on a 6 inch 19 than on a 2.5 inch 66, the end of the shroud would bottom out in the holster before the gun gets are far in as would with the snubs shorter shroud
Okay, but how do you explain a non-shrouded Model 10 snub not fitting? They're both K-Frames and the Model 10 should in fact present a lesser 'bulk' into the holster.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
906 Posts
After reading this, I decided to see if my model 10-6 would fit in a holster for a a 19/66. I only could find a Bianchi Cyclone holster for a 4” K-frame. I tried a 4” 19, 4” 10 and a 2.5” 66. All fit without issue. All of these gun were made in the 70s & 80s.
I don’t know if this provides any insight into the O.P.’s bizarre problem but, K-frames fit fine. I wonder if the OP’s model 10 has a tapered barrel and if that might make a difference.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I read all of the postings on this issue and it just seems that something is amiss. When ordering holsters from the major makers they don’t have holsters for all of the different models of K frames. They use one gun to form the holster. I have many holsters that fit different guns but the same frame. It seems that the holster in question was a special order for a special gun. Maybe not but something is very strange.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
Just tried a DeSantis Thumb break Sabbard I have thats listed as being for a 3 inch K frame 66/19. I managed to squeeze my 2.5 inch 686 into it but the 3 inch wont fit because the holster isnt made to accommodate a full underlug. Here is the 2.5 inch 686
AAB7F4C9-E20D-4DDC-B0EF-8DD52FA1E734.jpeg
Here is my 2 inch 10-7
A08A8DB9-F57F-47A8-ACF2-123E83146283.jpeg
4 inch pre10 fits just like the 10-7, except for some barrel hanging out
C5667ABE-A9D4-42DB-8DC5-8ECAE12E5E7B.jpeg
I have also had Curts 2.5 inch 66-3 in this holster and it fits about like the m10...just a tad snugger but the m10s are actually held pretty snug
A51F3465-DE34-4E62-BCA3-573429741B59.jpeg
Hard to tell whats going on the the OPs holster problem without seeing the holster or guns amd how they fit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts