Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
View attachment 569333 View attachment 569334 View attachment 569335 View attachment 569336 View attachment 569337 I was just told my grandfather left me this Smith and Wesson.... I dont know anything about it...... Is it rare???? I was offered $1000 for it.....
That label says it all. Model 66, Target Stock, Target Hammer, Target Trigger, Red Ramp front sight, White Outline rear sight, product code 102707. That 4304 number is the year (1984) and the 304th day (October 31-Haloween) that the gun was made. If I inherited it, I would keep it, but that's me. If I was selling it and someone offered me $1000, I would take it. Hope that answers your questions, and good luck!

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
its unfired
When I said $1000 was a fair price, I was assuming it was unfired or barely fired. That is pretty near the top end for one from that era. Older ones have what is called a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. Those would probably bring a little more money, but $1000 for a 66-3 is pretty darn good

·
Premium Member
22,734 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's a beautiful inheritance! But, my condolences on the loss of your grandfather. Aebel69 has given you a lot of good information. Just one correction: your M66 was made on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 1984. But, really what difference does a day make. We often even guess at the year for the triple alpha serials, much less the month and day.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The lads are correct. A thousand is the sweet spot. But, you got for it for free so keeping it is no skin off the teeth unless you aren't a revolver guy.
I'd pee my Depends ifin' I got a gift like that. 1984...I was partying to Oingo Boingo and INXS, where has the time gone..ohhh' gawd...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Like some of the others, I would keep it. But it is a beauty, and well worth a thousand dollars now days, IMHO.

My 66 was manufactured in '72, and I carried every working day for several years back in the '70s. Still have it. Very good little guns.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good looking pistol, can't go wrong with it. I just picked up a pinned barrel version with standard grips, hammer, and trigger. It's like having my old model 15 in stainless, but with more punch.
Hold on to it, I would.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts