Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model 6601.jpg

Went to the gun shop today looking for a birthday present for myself and spotted the new 66. I checked it out and PRESTO! Happy birthday to me. Very nice with the 2.75" barrel. I figger a fella can't have too many .357s.

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Very Nice! I looked at one a couple years ago when they first came out....not seriously, just browsing. Everything looked good but, the trigger was absolutely the worst I ever pulled. The heavy pull would have been something one could overcome, but it was the grittiest, roughest action I have ever felt. They certainly picked the wrong one for a display model, and I really don't see how it left S&W like that. That being said, it wouldn't turn me off to one as long as I could see and dry fire it before hand. Had a nice feel and balance and the 2.75" barrel is a handy size.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Nice! Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
Most of the newer Smith's have the same atrocious trigger pull. They are like Ruger revolvers. The Ruger SA Semi-Auto 9mm. and DA/SA .22 LR that I own are much better. That's why I bought them. I'm not a gunsmith, but the new MIM hammers and triggers aren't like the old Forged hammers and triggers. ;) Bob

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very nice, that’s one of the models on my list since older 3” models go for stupid money. The trigger pull can be hit or miss on new ones. I handled a 686 the other day and expected the horrible newer model pull but it was on par with some older models and smooth. I actually like the rubber grips they’re putting on these. Sounds like a good birthday!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most of the newer Smith's have the same atrocious trigger pull. They are like Ruger revolvers. The Ruger SA Semi-Auto 9mm. and .22 LR that I own are much better. That's why I bought them. I'm not a gunsmith, but the new MIM hammers and triggers aren't like the old Forged Triggers. Bob
Maybe I'm just lucky but none of the new Smiths I've bought have any of the defects in build or function others have encountered. The trigger on the 66 isn't bad for a new gun and I'm sure the more I shoot it , the better it'll be. The only small gripe I have is that S&W chose a short rear sight blade and my old eyes don't pick up on the small notch very well. That will soon be rectified.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts