Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Well tell me if I screwed up...
I had a chance to purchase a 66-4 round butt, with a 2 inch barrel, original grips, and in used but nice condition, over the week end.
The guy was firm on $600.00, and would not come off a dime. This usually sort of turns me away, as I like to dicker, when I buy, and will almost always do the same when I sell.
However this time I am pretty sure I left a good deal laying on the table, because I was hard headed.. :(

Also walked away from a 14-4 with 6 inch barrel, target hammer, trigger and grips for $650.00. Some blue worn of in the sides of the muzzle, and sharp areas, grips refinished with an ugly gloss finish, but they were not chewed up.
Both guns seemed to lock up good, and the timing was spot on.

The conditions were... an older wheeler dealer type, guy that I have seen before, at other flea markets, set up at an out door swap meet / flea market. Cash can carry deal, as this is still legal in the state I live in, at least for now..

So what do you all think? I have been grieving over the 66 since I got home, but it was too far to go back, on the off chance the seller was still there. It was a hot day, and most seller get there early and leave by noon in the summer time.

Well thats my tale...
BES

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
I dont know about the model 14, but a 2.5" model 66 that is decent goes for $750 and up in many cases. The LGS had a 66-3 a few months ago priced at $995. I think that is really high, but apparently they do not.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Agree with all said about the 66. Here would be in the 800.00 range. The 14-4 maybe on high side, but is a target masterpiece and my 14 is a tack driver. Just remember next time. I like to dicker too but I have never regretted getting one I really liked at the time, especially a snubby.

·
Premium Member
12,722 Posts
You felt they were priced too high. Sellers thought they were priced fairly. You didn't screw up - and neither did they.

Some dealers think that everything they possess is golden, and every offer is an insult. Leave them to wallow in their hardware.

A ton of used S&W revolvers are showing up as huge numbers of people are trading them in for semi-autos with larger capacity.

Let the panic settle (it may take well into next year) or prepare to pay higher prices now, with no guarantee of them dropping with demand later.

Revolvers for $800 are pretty much the norm now around here.

·
Registered
19,937 Posts
Hi Everyone!

Well tell me if I screwed up...
I had a chance to purchase a 66-4 round butt, with a 2 inch barrel, original grips, and in used but nice condition, over the week end.
The guy was firm on $600.00, and would not come off a dime. This usually sort of turns me away, as I like to dicker, when I buy, and will almost always do the same when I sell.
However this time I am pretty sure I left a good deal laying on the table, because I was hard headed.. :(

Also walked away from a 14-4 with 6 inch barrel, target hammer, trigger and grips for $650.00. Some blue worn of in the sides of the muzzle, and sharp areas, grips refinished with an ugly gloss finish, but they were not chewed up.
Both guns seemed to lock up good, and the timing was spot on.

The conditions were... an older wheeler dealer type, guy that I have seen before, at other flea markets, set up at an out door swap meet / flea market. Cash can carry deal, as this is still legal in the state I live in, at least for now..

So what do you all think? I have been grieving over the 66 since I got home, but it was too far to go back, on the off chance the seller was still there. It was a hot day, and most seller get there early and leave by noon in the summer time.

Well thats my tale...
BES
I would have been all over BOTH of those.......................

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I dont know about the model 14, but a 2.5" model 66 that is decent goes for $750 and up in many cases. The LGS had a 66-3 a few months ago priced at $995. I think that is really high, but apparently they do not.
Ditto this in my area. $600 for a dash 4 in good shape is a "buy as many as you can get" price.

·
Registered
19,937 Posts
If it is in decent shape, I would jump at a chance to buy a pre-lock 2” 66 for $600. I have wanted one ever since I got my 4” 1972 66 no dash. They’re amazing guns!

View attachment 473513
I love my 66-2 4" bought new in 1980; managed to pick up a 19-3 snub a few years ago for $349 from gander..............they had a K38 Masterpiece then for 600; damn 20-20 hindsight should have bought both but I had just bought my first HK P7 and a 17-4 target masterpiece

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my being hard headed caused me to miss a good deal. That 66 really spoke to me, and I wish I would have jumped on it. I didn't need it, but the cool factor is way up there!
Its possible that this guy will be at that swap meet Labor Day weekend, as that is the next time this will go on. I will be there with money, and if he is there, and has the gun, it will be living at my house.
Thank you for all the great comments!

Reactions: Abby'sDad
1 - 11 of 11 Posts