Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this year I was able to obtained a safe queen in the form of a 3 inch Model 66-3 at a local gun store. This gun came with a pinned front sight while most of the pictures I have seen the front sight is part of the barrel. I was wondering if anyone could tell why the front sight is different on my Model 66-3. My 4 inch and 2 1/2 inch Model 66’s do not have a pinned front sight.

· Registered
18,082 Posts
My no dash 686 has the front sight forged as part of the barrel, but my 2 dash 6, 686's have a pinned front sight. Just a change in manufacturing to probably save material and labor. With an integral front sight, the whole piece of steel the barrel is forged from would have to be about a half inch taller to accomodate the sight, and all that excess material on top would get milled away. With a pinned sight, the blank needed is smaller, and less material would need to be removed

· Registered
1,817 Posts
My three inch Model 66-5 has a pinned front sight. My 66-1, 2.5 inch and four inch 66-2 do not.

Must have been a change between the dash 2 and 3???

As an aside, my 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt, my 696, 610, 342ti, and 296 all have pinned barrels. All of them are somewhat newer guns, so it must be a function of when they were made???? Just speculation.

· Registered
18,082 Posts
I didnt go look through the entire website, but it seems that pretty much everything with a barrel over 2 inches now has a pinned front sight. The basic aluminum framed J frames are the exception (637,638,642)

Reactions: Curt360

· Registered
96 Posts
Interesting. I haven't seen a pin sticking out like that on a stainless revolver, but instead polished flat with the barrel. Most can't be seen without a very close look. The Standard Catalog of S&W mentions the special run of 3" 66-3s, but nothing about that sight. Should be from 1988. If you're into such things, your product code is 102712 and it looks to be a special order for RSR, a firearms wholesaler. Looks like a really nice one. Congratulations!
Since it's a 3", it should not affect value at all, though... just make folks go "Hmmm...."!

· Registered
684 Posts
Interesting. I haven't seen a pin sticking out like that on a stainless revolver, but instead polished flat with the barrel. Most can't be seen without a very close look. The Standard Catalog of S&W mentions the special run of 3" 66-3s, but nothing about that sight. Should be from 1988. If you're into such things, your product code is 102712 and it looks to be a special order for RSR, a firearms wholesaler. Looks like a really nice one. Congratulations!
Since it's a 3", it should not affect value at all, though... just make folks go "Hmmm...."!
More about the 3":

MENU
RARE SMITH & WESSON MODEL 66-3 3″ BARREL…

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/gunshi5/public_html/wp-includes/media.php on line 1206
Rare Smith & Wesson Model 66-3 3 Barrel...A rare Smith & Wesson Model 66-3 3″ landed in the shop late last week. I’ve been researching this weapon over the past couple of days and “rare” is an understatement. 250 of these weapons were made per year for three years. 250 in 1988, 250 in 1996, and 250 in 1999. All 750 were distributor exclusives for RSR Group Inc. out of Texas. I started researching when I plugged this Model into the internet and got one hit. Someone selling a pair of them (unfired) on gun broker for $5,000.00. This one is in excellent shape but it has been fired so it won’t fetch that kind of price tag. It does have the original box, wax paper, etc.
Aside from the collectibility of this weapon the Smith & Wesson Model 66-3 3″ Barrel is a great in-between size for the .357mag caliber. It’s a whole lot of firepower in a barrel length that still has some reach on it, but is small enough to carry concealed. This is one badass 6 shot that you won’t ever lose money on by putting it in your collection.
As always, thank you for reading the Blog at gunshinearms.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.