Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 3 inch Model 66 at a gun show recently. I got it at a good price. I had 3 inch 65, and just liked the adjustable sights on the 66. As I've looked around it appears to me that this 3 inch 66 is not very common. Have I found a S&W revolver that's relatively rare?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I don't know about rare, but the cool factor is off the charts. Nice find and welcome to the forum from SWMO. The brain trust will be with you shortly I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
18,757 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! No, not rare. But, it is a popular model.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,965 Posts
Not rare, but certainly well sought after. The 3" barrels are in demand and do command a premium.

The earlier pinned barrel and recessed cylinder versions (66-1's) are the hardest to find and get the most $, but bidding is pretty competitive on any 3" model these days.

Welcome to the forum and nice gun..

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Congrats, the 3-inchers are scarce and this should add to value down the road. Also welcome to the forum, from NC.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rare is a word used to describe a lot of models that are seldom seen. I don't consider the M66 3" models rare, but they are difficult to find, they are highly valued, and priced accordingly. My M66-2 3", is a little different from your in that my front site is stainless with a red insert. I am guessing that yours is a -3 or a -5, but I could be wrong. Nice looking Smith, and you will enjoy it. Oh, by the way, S&W doesn't make them without the lock anymore!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.

I wouldn't say "rare" but I would say "scarce" and very much in demand when found.

Congratulations on yours...ENJOY!
weiweinp

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Idaho. You have found a very desireable model there with the 3" barrel.
We don't see many of those for sale around here. You paid and excellent price for it, and it should serve you well for many years to come.

Congratulations on the acquisition.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Hello WL and welcome to the forum

I agree with the sentiments above about the elusiveness of the 3" Model 66.

I enjoy the heck out of my 2 1/2" version............in fact, it's my current carry piece.

S&WModel66BianchiHumpBacks_01.jpg

Best Regards,

Geezer

·
Super Moderator
32,708 Posts
I agree with the not rare but not seen often. People seem to keep 'em and you just don't see them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts