Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am brand new here and just beginning to enjoy the precision of Smith and Wesson Revolvers. Now I am going to ask you guys for some help, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I do a little light gunsmith work and was recently given a S&W Model 66-2 in .357 to work on. To begin with we were just going to polish the trigger and install some lighter weight springs all in an attempt to smooth out the trigger a little. I watched and studied a bunch of YouTube videos and soon felt comfortable that I had enough knowledge to take the gun apart to clean it and polish some matting surfaces.

I say I was comfortable with it just until the point I had the side plate off and tried to cock the hammer just so I could see more about how it works. Just as soon as I did the hammer seemed to bind and just wouldn't function properly. I shook it around a little and soon noticed that the hammer stud pin was broken letting the hammer move around and not function properly. I didn't think this was very bad as I was looking at a schematic of the gun and thought I could just change out the hammer stud, Numerich even shows a part number (actually two but we will go into that later) so I began taking it all apart slowly and surely making sure I knew how each part worked and where it went. So in just a few minutes I had all the parts off the frame and could easily see where the stud broke off, both the stud and the bottom plate of the stud had metal pulled apart and you could see where it was as it came apart.

Well now here is the big problem, the bottom plate of the hammer stud (Part #27 on a Numerich Schematic) will not come out of the frame of the gun! The gun will never function properly if I can't change this part off the frame. I tried tapping with a hammer and punch in an attempt to turn it, no go. I used a little heat on it and tapped on it while it was hot (burned my finger) and still, NO GO. I'm not going to continue beating on the part because it is now buggered up a little and I don't want to make it worse than it is.

It appears by the model number to be a little bit of a strange gun. The model stamped on the gun is 66-2 but none of the parts list or schematics actually show parts for a 66-2. They show parts for a 66 and 66-3, from what we can tell, (the gun owner is looking up some of this stuff for me), parts listed for a model 66 should be good in this gun. A radius stud package was added to the models to make them 66-3, along with some other changes, so its possible this hammer stud in the 66-2 was defective? What will Smith and Wesson do if we ask them to fix it?

Thanks for any help you can give me guys. I've spent most of the day on a Saturday trying to find out some more info on this gun but still haven't heard what I want to. Can this thing be fixed?

·
Registered
23,467 Posts
1st welcome to the friendly forum, lots of good helpful folks here. I doubt if S&W will work on it & definitely won't warrantee it since you had it apart. Do you have a drill press & center drill?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but I don't understand why S%W wouldn't work on it because we would never have know this part was broke unless we took it apart. It was made back in 76' I believe so its not like its anywhere near brand new and we are not looking for warranty work. We'll be glad to pay for it if it is reasonable, otherwise its just a box full of parts that can never be reassembled into a working firearm. I'm not going to drill on it until it is the last and final resort!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Your model 66-2 isn't too old to be repaired by S&W. They replaced a hammer stud for me on my 52 year old N-Frame. My cost came to $148.00 and the work was done perfectly. They should do the repair for you assuming that your hammering hasn't done any damage to the frame. Hammer stud removal and replacement is not something for an amateur and even gunsmiths without the proper equipment will shy away from the job. The risk of destroying a frame and rendering the revolver useless isn't worth chancing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you contact S&W they will repair the stud for you. We have ship a few of our department revolvers out that are older than this one and they have repair them. They are shipped back to us in as good as new condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts