Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
WCCPHD,
Thanks for the pics. Helpful. My front sight and cylinder release is like that of the Ashland. However I measured the inside of the barrel and it is exactly 3 inches. In addition the gun was purchased in the mid 1990s which would predate the 2001 release by a few years. .
Looks like a little rush rash on the left side of the rear sight.
GMAN, Sorry, I'm new to this . What's a Rush Rash?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
WCCPHD,
Thanks for the pics. Helpful. My front sight and cylinder release is like that of the Ashland. However I measured the inside of the barrel and it is exactly 3 inches. In addition the gun was purchased in the mid 1990s which would predate the 2001 release by a few years. .

No doubt your gun is a three inch. The other poster's gun, I believe, is one of the 3.2 inch stocking dealer guns. The sight base not going all the way to the frame, the hi viz front sight and the newer style cylinder stop identifies that gun as the stocking dealer 66-5's (same dash as my old Lew Horton three inch).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thought I would add to the discussion and post a picture of my Model 66-2, serial number AHJ16XX. This is definitely a Lew Horton gun. I saw his ad in the Shotgun News back in the day and I asked a buddy of mine who had a FFL to order it for me. The grips in the picture are not original although I do have the originals. Haven't shot it all that much, mostly with .38 Spl., It is very accurate and I prefer it over my Sig 229 semi auto when I need to carry.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice piece!! They are so well balanced and I agree, if not for the collectability I would still be carrying this also. California handguns are limited to 10 rounds so it isn't even that much of a round count difference. Given the velocity, energy and potential pentation of the .357 over other popular EDC calibers, it is a WASH in terms of utility as a EDC for me. These are just great handguns.
Curious... What grips came on your originally?

·
Registered
32 Posts
WCCPHD,

Sorry...fat fingered the keyboard...Rust rash.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts