Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had this S/W 66-2 for several years and have fired it only about 50 rds. I was told it was a Lew Horton gun buy Roy Jinks several years ago but have no other info or verification that it is a LH gun. Can anyone give me any info on this weapon? value?
It is a S/S 3 inch barrel, 357 mag, target rear sight, ramped orange front sight, full lug, smooth trigger face, Crane is marked AI3 with serial #38XXX.
This is an incredibly well balanced
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood
handgun and as I recall it was a very accurate handgun.

·
Super Moderator
15,438 Posts
Serial number will be on the base of the frame. You have to take off the grip to see it. "AI3 38xxx" may be the full number.

the numbers in the yoke area are likely only assembly numbers. Post photos of both areas.

·
Registered
17,193 Posts
The 3 inch model 66 is fairly uncommon and valuable. There is currently one on Gunbroker with bid of $1025 with 8 days to go. Another sits with a buy it now of $1625 which is a bit high but the one with bids will likely break $1200

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The Model 66-2 was made from 1982 to 1988. The serial likely is a 3 alpha A??xxxx where the ? are letters and the x's are numbers. The "serial" you provide is an assembly number used during manufacturing. Nothing in our references show a plain 3" M66 going to Lew Horton. But, if Dr. Jinks told you it did, then it did.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
“1985 Special production of 3” barrel for Ashland A 5,000 manufactured. ‘ALU’ serial prefix.”

SCSW 4th ed., p. 270

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Under the 66-3, it says:

“1988 Special 3” full lug version, with full length extractor rod.”

Reactions: Curt360 and combat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guy, Thanks for the reply. I purchased this over 30 yr ago. No paperwork but it appeared unfired at that time. I called S&W and a gentleman answered the phone and introduced himself as Roy Jinks. Imagine that! He stated the gun was sent to Lew Horton Dist. and approximately 1200 were produced. I asked him if I should shoot it or store it and he said it wasn't worth a lot more than any common S&W of the day but it was meant to be enjoyed so I should shoot it. And that I did. That was some thirty some years ago. My how times change. Its been hard not to put it in my rotation because it carries and shoot so well.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Yep. Back in those days, you could talk to the S&W Historian directly via phone. You'll be happy to know that Roy is still alive well into his 80th decade and providing research on S&W handguns. He is now the Historian for the S&W Historical Foundation. You can request an Historian's Letter of Authenticity from the Historical Foundation for $100. It provides the date the gun shipped, to whom it shipped and the configuration it was in when shipped. A link to the letter request form is in a sticky post at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I believe most, if not all, the 66-2 three inch guns were done for Ashland Distributors. There were Lew Horton three inch Model 66's, but they were later. I had a 66-5 that lettered to Horton. It was one of about 300. I bought it for $600 and sold it for $1350 (to a friend, could have gotten more).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all. Great info. I think a request to S&W historical Foundation is in order. :) I will let you all know what I find.
This again reminds me of why steel, wood and hand craftsmanship will never go out of style. I can't imagine that in 30 years I would be asking these kinds of questions and getting this much access to great resources about any of the 30 or so plastic handguns I own. Don't get me wrong, Plastic is fantastic and infinitely serviceable but American Iron with all its intrigue, history, craftsmanship and culture is, for me the essence of firearm collecting, and shooting. (IMHO) Thanks again and I will post when I get more info from S&WHF.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yep. Back in those days, you could talk to the S&W Historian directly via phone. You'll be happy to know that Roy is still alive well into his 80th decade and providing research on S&W handguns. He is now the Historian for the S&W Historical Foundation. You can request an Historian's Letter of Authenticity from the Historical Foundation for $100. It provides the date the gun shipped, to whom it shipped and the configuration it was in when shipped. A link to the letter request form is in a sticky post at the top of the forum.
OMGosh! I think I have spoken with him! 2003 I was looking into buying a pistol from a friend who had used it to neutralize his (then) GF's stalker. I called S&W and they put this guy on the phone.

Man told me it was made in the 1970's and was worth about $250.00. I paid my friend more than that because he had done so much for me.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Nice 66-2 3 incher. I have a 66-5 3 inch, its one of my favorite guns i own. They do seem to balance quite well and a full length ejector rod is a big plus.
That's a 2001 Stocking Dealers gun, Product Code #102720. They are actually 3.2 inch barrels. S&W did make a true 3 inch 66-5 for Lew Horton. They made 300 of them and shipped with faux ivory grips.

Here is a photo of the Lew Horton gun (with wrong grips). Notice the sight base is different from the earlier three inch guns.

Photo of an Ashland 66-2 (with the grips that should be on the 66-5 Lew Horton) for comparison of the sight base.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive had this S/W 66-2 for several years and have fired it only about 50 rds. I was told it was a Lew Horton gun buy Roy Jinks several years ago but have no other info or verification that it is a LH gun. Can anyone give me any info on this weapon? value?
It is a S/S 3 inch barrel, 357 mag, target rear sight, ramped orange front sight, full lug, smooth trigger face, Crane is marked AI3 with serial #38XXX.
This is an incredibly well balanced View attachment 568685 View attachment 568686 handgun and as I recall it was a very accurate handgun.
Looks like a little rush rash on the left side of the rear sight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts