Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to this forum and looking for some information. I am a budding S&W revolver collector. Came across a model 657 (no dash) 6 inch barrel in a local gun shop in MA. Asking price 750 clams. It has some aftermarket houge grips that just look wrong! Otherwise I would place the gun in the very good category. It is mechanically perfect but has some cosmetic scratches, a nick or two, but no pitting or rust. Two questions. Is the asking price reasonable? Also, what would the correct grips be and what might those cost? Thank you In advance for any information provided. Seems like there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here willing to share great information.

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
A no dash 657 should have come with Goncolo Alves checkered target stocks. With the 657-3 the Hogue grip became standard. The price seems a bit high to me but in general Mass. prices are higher then here, and that may be about right for your area, but I cant say for sure

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That price is right on the mark for this area. You can find the correct grips on eBay or possibly at a local gun show. I find Hogue grips very comfortable to shoot. I hope you reload as .41 Magnum ammo isn't cheap.

·
Premium Member
10,715 Posts
It's impossible to give values for S&W revolvers like this without good sharp pictures showing details and the complete serial number.

Until then, the value is what you're willing to pay.

Reactions: needsmostuff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A no dash 657 should have come with Goncolo Alves checkered target stocks. With the 657-3 the Hogue grip became standard. The price seems a bit high to me but in general Mass. prices are higher then here, and that may be about right for your area, but I cant say for sure
Thank you for the information. Seems like we pay more for everything up here in MA!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably going to head over on the weekend to pick it up. We don’t see to many 41 magnum caliber Smiths show up on the market here. You would think with the factory being so close and the limited number of MA compliant guns in the first place that we would see a more diverse selection. The availability of older smiths however, especially anything with a pinned barrel and hammer mounted firing pin is becoming less and the prices seem to be continually rising.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts