Smith And Wesson Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
This is all interesting but did you shoot it yet? When I get a new or new to me gun I have to go the the range and see how it shoots.
I am not trying to put you down, the questions are great and everyone helping with them is typical of this site, I am honesty wondering how it shoots. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
17,169 Posts
A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER.....

Anyone have an original S&W 65-5 box to know what to look for...?

Saving my original stocks and added Hogue's
Just to muddy things up a bit. S&W was known for using everything. When they eliminated the P&R features, if they had older parts around they used them so it is possible to find a gun with a pinned barrel and non recessed cylinder, or the other way around. The same for boxes. When they switched to a new style they would continue to use up any of the older style until gone. That makes it difficult to find the "Correct' box, manual, thumb piece, or anything else if your gun is from one of those transitional times.

Reactions: Madcap

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
M48a1 - I am looking forward to shooting it but don't have access to a range within convenient distance. The closest one is a 50 mile RT and annoying pesky priorities have taken precedence. As soon as I have the opportunity I'll post some results....thanks for bringing it up.

jonsey814: Thank you for muddying things up. It's been challenging to sort through some of the S&W information and I thought it was just my inexperience that found it so difficult. I feel better now...you relieved some of the mystery. 👍 👍

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've got to ask this; Madcap, is this your first S&W revolver? I've helped as best I can with what I've learned from mine, and the info from the SCSW, but really, just take the gun and shoot and enjoy it. It's not really a collectible, has no value over and above any other revolver from that time period. I can understand wanting to change some of the things you don't like about it, but maybe you should keep that one as-is, and spend your time and money on finding something with the features you really want, whatever they may be. They are out there; sometimes you may look for months or even years, but sometimes they almost fall into your lap. Just be ready for them when you do find one, or one finds you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
As mentioned in the first, initial post this is my first S&W revolver and I look forward to shooting the pistol at first opportunity. There is no range within reasonable distance so in the meantime I wanted to learn what I could about S&W model 65's and familiarize myself a little bit about this particular version.

The thumbpiece wasn't the wider style that model 65-5 examples I'd seen had. It's been replaced with the wider one now that feels much better and looks better - to me. The original hammer is also pitted on both sides and the appearance is unappealing compared to the rest of the gun so if possible it'll be replaced. It's not that expensive or difficult and If I can't get to the range right away I'll make a couple improvements that satisfy me.

As soon as I can get the range I'll share my impressions. Interest and help so far is much appreciated, and thank you all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Still have not made it to the range yet....
But I visited a local gun show yesterday and found another Model 65-5 SS with 3 inch barrel....price is $840.00. It's still available and very tempting but hesitate to spend the money till I sell another pistol. Wish I had taken pics of it but it's basically same as the one I have. Considering the 3" barrel it seems a reasonable price compared to the crazy internet sales.

·
Registered
17,169 Posts
Still have not made it to the range yet....
But I visited a local gun show yesterday and found another Model 65-5 SS with 3 inch barrel....price is $840.00. It's still available and very tempting but hesitate to spend the money till I sell another pistol. Wish I had taken pics of it but it's basically same as the one I have. Considering the 3" barrel it seems a reasonable price compared to the crazy internet sales.
That is not a bad price in today's market for a 3 inch model 65

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That is not a bad price in today's market for a 3 inch model 65
Those 3 inch barrels are hard to find I guess, and making them more desirable for CC and maybe collecting. From what I've seen so far the current market is at an unfortunate premium for most buyers but I consider the price I found this one for relativly reasonable. Anyway, I'll be picking it up tomorrow....and hope it's the last one. :unsure:

·
Registered
17,169 Posts
Those 3 inch barrels are hard to find I guess, and making them more desirable for CC and maybe collecting. From what I've seen so far the current market is at an unfortunate premium for most buyers but I consider the price I found this one for relativly reasonable. Anyway, I'll be picking it up tomorrow....and hope it's the last one. :unsure:
It's a good one to pick up. They get more expensive by the month it seems with $850- 1000 being the current range

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Some details of the recent unexpected 65-5 3 inch acquisition. Considering the 3 inch is more difficult to find at a comparatively good price I had to get it. It appears to be excellent mechanically but exhibits cosmetic flaws along the right side of the sight rail and barrel....looks like someone tried messing with the barrel. There's also a perceptible, slightly uneven uneven surface on the right side plate. Not sure if it may be from factory finishing or prior owner polishing. The bottom of the butt suffered abuse as well.
It came with some attractive Altamont grips but I think Id prefer replacing them with standard factory stocks. The Altamont's fit also reveal large gaps.
Overall I feel fortunate to find it.....and will look forward to taking both of them to the range.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks, I really didn't expect to be adding anything more to my collection since I should be thinning some of it out. I didn't want to spend the money either but when I picked it up and held it as usual, that's all it took.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
A dealer had some original boxes for very reasonable price at a recent show so I bought a couple for my two model 65's. With some internet research and very limited computer skills I was able to reproduce a faux label for my 65 3". Just to clarify it's not intended to misrepresent the original box this Model 65 came in - but for my personal enjoyment and satisfaction only. (Repro labels are sold on eBay that can be filled in also but not the style this period box came with.) The barcode, "Product Code" and "Spec. Ord." are fictitious. The serial no. is actual - last three digits blurred out.

Hoping to get to the range next week if possible and maybe post some pics of the target results.

Madcap sends

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Both model 65's were finally taken to the range. They both functioned fine with some .38 SPL but I hope I can get back and get some serious practice in because my accuracy really sucked...... I'll try to remember to save the targets next time. :sneaky:

41 - 58 of 58 Posts