Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have interest in buying a Model 65 - 5 4" SS for $600. It seems a fair price but have questions. I've been a collector for a for several years but new to S&W revolvers and been trying to educate myself as much on the model 65 in particular.

This 65 appears to be in wonderful condition except for a few concerns - nothing serious but mostly make me curious.
The barrel looks pretty good but there appear to be some "scratches" toward the the rear. A trusted friend mentioned to look for cracks in the forcing cone but none appear - just the appearance of the scratches inside the barrel rear. If they were cracks I would assume they would be evident in the forcing cone for certain.

One other issue is some apparent rust pitting on the side of the hammer.I'm confused why the hammer and trigger aren't stainless but look like maybe they were case colored at one time.

Other than the above mentioned it's a beauty and hope nothing might prevent the purchase. I'll try to post photos of the barrel maybe later.

Any help is appreciated....thanks.

Madcap

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Looks like a dash-6, maybe? Look inside the yoke cut and see what the number after the "Mod 65" is (Mod 65-?), and read us the SN, it will be a three-letter prefix; you can "xx" the last couple of digits The SN will be on the bottom of the butt frame, and may be inside the yoke cut along with the model number. This will help pin down the mfg date. S&W started using MIM parts around this time. Also try to get pics of the forcing cone and the "scratches" inside the barrel. The revolver doesn't look abused, chances are it hasn't been fired all that much.

The M65 is a fixed-sight service revolver, a more basic version of the Model 66, which has adjustable sights and a shroud on the barrel that encloses the extractor rod. Below is a Model 19-3, the blue steel version of the M66 (actually, the M65 and M66 are much more recent models than the M19), but you can see the adjustable sights and barrel shroud. All these guns are built on the medium "K" frame. Although the M65/66 are stainless steel, the hammer and trigger will be either carbon steel or MIM, depending on the series. Blued and nickel plated revolvers will have color case-hardened hammer and trigger, the Stainless models use a hard chrome finish, I believe, it better matches the stainless finish.

The forcing cone on K frame revolvers has a small undercut, to allow the gas ring to clear when the cylinder is closed. This undercut area, being thinner, is a failure spot, which can occur mainly from high-volume shooting of lightweight (110 and 125 grain) bullets in full power magnum loads. Sticking to heaver bullets generally causes no problems.

You're getting into a great group of collectible firearms, once you know what to look for. There have been many changes in the last 40 years, and even more before then. I would say the three greatest divisions in S&W history for revolvers would be 1-up to WWII, 2- post-war to about 1982, and 3- 1983-present,
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Motor vehicle Material property Aircraft Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for your reply and information.It is indeed a "-5" as you may see in the attached photo. That's a great shot of your forcing cone - I'll try to get one one to hopefully give good visual of appear to be "scratches". Something else confused me was the thumb release. It's a different maybe later style than most of the examples of f65-5's I found on the net.

The serial number located on the butt and inside the yoke both match with "CBH" prefixes.. Note the electric pencil engraved # "950" also visible on the yoke as well. I remember reading something somewhere about that but forget what it may have signified. Also the "U" stamp which I think I read meant it may have been "used" as a salesman sample or demo model.
It does look like it may have been polished but I wasn't sure since it's my first SS and not sure what they look like normally. At any rate I think I like the simpler style of the 65, with fixed sights compared to the 66 also.

I'll try for some forcing cone and barrel pics tomorrow.....thanks again for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
The images sequence in the order you load them.

The revolver dates to 1996-97. The thumbpiece is a MIM, and possibly the trigger as well, which were added later in the dash-5 series. The dash-6 has a MIM hammer. Stainless guns are generally more of a matte or semi-gloss finish, but shiny isn't bad. I suppose some owners want them to look like nickel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good morning - I suspected the hammer and trigger might be MIM but was hoping otherwise. So did they case color those MIM parts...? I think I read something about that. I didn't expect the thumb piece to be but wondered why it seemed most of the other photos of 65-5's had the wider thumb piece....I guess it was a later -5??
I'll check back in later today.... thanks for your valuable help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photos of the onside rear barrel don't show the scratches at all - just couldn't get the lens close enough. Forcing come detail will appear to show no cracks.
It's possible the barrel was scratched by someone dragging the edge of the tip of a cleaning rod - that's what it looks like to me, but I'm not sure.
If anyone can confirm what the number on the forcing cone and the "U" stamp is, that would be interesting.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks...you have a pretty nice looking 65-2 there also. How long have you had it?
I like the the idea of the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder of the early 65. I'd like to find an early variation 65 sometime.
Cheers

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unless I'm seeing things are those recessed cylinder chambers?
I saw them too, and was also confused, but it's not the OP's revolver, which is quite a few years post P&R.

$600 for that revolver is a bit much, IMO, even with the box, tools, etc. SCSW lists the ANIB value at $625, and it is in the later production years, has no features that are rare or increase value, so no premium for that particular revolver. OP states "I've been a collector for several years", so I'm assuming he wants the gun for a collector piece, which it really isn't, although it would make an excellent SD firearm or range gun, but I would not pay the asked price for it, for those purposes.

I would pay that price, though, for an early model, for a dash-1 or dash-2, or an early round butt with a 3" barrel.

·
Registered
16,682 Posts
I saw them too, and was also confused, but it's not the OP's revolver, which is quite a few years post P&R.

$600 for that revolver is a bit much, IMO, even with the box, tools, etc. SCSW lists the ANIB value at $625, and it is in the later production years, has no features that are rare or increase value, so no premium for that particular revolver. OP states "I've been a collector for several years", so I'm assuming he wants the gun for a collector piece, which it really isn't, although it would make an excellent SD firearm or range gun, but I would not pay the asked price for it, for those purposes.

I would pay that price, though, for an early model, for a dash-1 or dash-2, or an early round butt with a 3" barrel.
Tough to find any model 65 for under $600 these days. A few months ago, Guns.com had some LE turn ins for $599.99

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Could the marks be lead buildup?
Could the marks be lead buildup?
Hi - No, don't think it's lead.* The barrel was scrubbed with Hoppe's and brass brush and wiped - looks like they may be possible results of someone scrapping the tip of a cleaning steel rod or brush tip....very odd looking to me.Wish I could have gotten photos to show up. Anyway, I'm planning on having an armorer friend look at it this weekend.

Just as a note, all the -5's I've seen so far have the earlier, wider thumb release. The later style must have been added to this -5 when they used up all the earlier one's....I'd much prefer the wider one. Also, if I make the purchase Ii hope to dress the hammer up some and smooth the pitting out. It bothers me to look at it in contrast with the rest of the pistol.

Best

* edit: another experience friend suggested it could be lead also and recommended applying Hoppe's and letting it set several hours or overnight and try the brush again...I'll see what happens and post results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tough to find any model 65 for under $600 these days. A few months ago, Guns.com had some LE turn ins for $599.99
Yes, I believe so as well. I've been comparing prices and they are very pricey in some cases higher....but unfortunately for interested buyers it's not usually our market. From what I've observed so far this asking prices for particular pistol would be in excess of $600 easy.

·
Registered
16,682 Posts
Yes, I believe so as well. I've been comparing prices and they are very pricey in some cases higher....but unfortunately for interested buyers it's not usually our market. From what I've observed so far this asking prices for particular pistol would be in excess of $600 easy.
And don't even look at a 3 inch unless you have $1000 to spend

1 - 20 of 40 Posts