Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, Welcome to the Forum.... :)

Try a little experiment and post back to us...

With the gun unloaded and pointed in a safe direction, pull the hammer back to the full cock position. Then without touching the trigger in any way...put one of your thumbs underneath the hammer spur and push up and forward with a little pressure. If the hammer falls forward it is a sign of push-off and there is a issue with the gun. If not, we get to go to stage two.... ;)

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok,

Do you have any gunsmith's in your area that have taken any S&W armorer courses or have trained on working on sear engagements ? If so, I'd highly recommend having the gun looked at by a competent gunsmith....

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Another version of the "Push Off" test is to smack the back of the hammer with the palm of your hand.... (unloaded and pointed safely....)

If it will fall when hit then the single action sear is either worn or over stoned.... I've cured this problem on many Smiths... recutting the single action sear is not work for the novice but if done properly may not require a new hammer.

Drew

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I have a 65-4 with a very light single action let-off. My best friend has
one just like it, with a like trigger.

The 65 has acquired the status of a safe queen, not because of the trigger as I would probably shoot it double action. But I know about
the push test, I just have been remiss about doing it.

I'll try Sebago Son's suggestion of the slap and post results.

Okay, I'm back withtest results: (1) The 65-4 passed the push test.
(2) It failed the slap test. . . .Thanks for the heads up, Drew.

Hank

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the education. I also own a 65 three inch that has been bobbed and also from input from members of the forum found Lightning Arms and got a set of Spegels for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts