Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance of getting a Model 648-1, 6" barrel for $550.
It is a pre-lock model
It is very clean with only a slight turn line on the cylinder.
The backstrap is clean with no signs of any flame cutting.
The bore is very clean with excellent rifleing.

I need to know as quickly as possible.
Would $600 be a fair value. I am in the Pacific Northwest

Gregory

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gregory,

To me, if this is a 6" full underlug barrelled 648 (and it probably is), fired and without the box, $550 is all the money and then some. 4" examples bring a little more, but not so with 6" guns.

At $600 I'd pass.

Frankly, at anything more than $450 I don't think I'd jump.

If by chance this is a non-lugged barrel, then buy it now.

Drew

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Full lug barrel.
It is so hard to even find a S&W .22 revolver in any barrel length up here. It makes it so tempting. I have a Model 629 I'm thinking of selling off, just so I have the money for one when it comes up.
I haven't seen one up here in over 9 months and I'm constantly on the hawk for one.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
How bad do you want it? Sounds like you'd rather have the 648 instead of the 629 (which are available all the time). I would in this case "jump" at $600. You gotta consider that Drew has guns "walk in his front door", so that (I believe) skews his view to be on the "cheap" end of things! :D

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've wanted a .22 caliber S&W revolver from the day I got my first Smith.
I got a Model 14, saw a Model 17 and just about went nuts.
I'm thinkin' just about any S&W 22 revolver has got to be worth at least $550, considering the current market for them and the scarcity as well.

I was in the process of selling off some guns for a friend and I went into "Gun Sales mode". She had a Model 617-1 that she wanted to sell, and it was nearly perfect, box and all. Not thinking much about it I sold it for $650. The day after I shipped it out I realized that I had a 1 in a million shot at getting one this clean, and I just shipped it off. I have wanted one terribly bad ever since.

It doesn't have to be a true K-22, but it has to be a S&W 22 revolver.
This seems to fit the bill 6" barrel is my preference too.
I just need somebody to say it's not a bad buy and give me a push. I certainly won't ever regret buying it. But I just can't close the sale without some approval on this end.
You all know these guns better than I do, since I've never owned one of these.
The Model 617 goes for around $600-700 it seems
and the Model 17 for much more.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gregory,

It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into this.... So I won't be a wet blanket. :cool:

Ken's right. I do have alot of opportunities to buy some really fine guns because after 30 years of doing so, I have many regular sellers that bring me stuff ..... took a long time to develop, but this network now pays me big dividends.

That and Stainless K-22's are not my thing. I much prefer the blued models from the early post war years until the end of the classic patterns in the mid 1980's.

Lastly, I have a very long memory and with it a perspective formed in the early 1970's.... from that angle, $600 seems like alot to pay for one of these arms.

So, I guess that given what you've said, having the 648 means more to you than the $600 or even the 629... If that's so, Then Just Go For It! Never let it be said that I stood in the way of a brother having a good time!

Just remember that .22 Magnum rounds aren't cheap and you can't reload them....

Bon Appetite~

Drew

·
Registered
747 Posts
The one thing I consider is they won't make any pre-lock guns anymore and they will not get any cheaper.
I just bought a Model 12 NIB and I thought I paid to much, but I wanted it and got it anyway.
I've found all to often if you snooze you lose. 2345ll

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the owner of the shop selling the 648 and he want's to talk with me tomorrow about the trade. He knows where I stand & I know where he's at too.
It'll be interesting if I can get away with the even trade.
I really don't need the 629 and It didn't cost me much either. So if we trade I'll be doing alright. If I have to throw in a couple bucks I can make it up by selling off the .44 magnum ammo I have. I've got 10-15 boxes of it. Selling the ammo will just about pay back what I paid for the 629 to begin with.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.
~GQ~

·
Registered
747 Posts
Good luck and lets see some pictures when you get it.
By the way, I tried looking on GunBroker for a 648 and there where none, it might be a hard to get gun.

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bobw
I hate it when people try to sell to a saleman (lol) And this one is kicking me in the butt.
You are right in all things considered.
I thought I might be able to fire 22 LR's from it and I find out I can't.
I really want a K-22. not a 22 magnum.
Just a silly question. Do you think there may be somebody out there that may be willing to trade a K22 for a 629?
My 629 is clean as a whistle. If you think it's a bit more than just possible, I think I'll post a want to trade ad.

GQ

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Sounds like you're where I usually end up - between a rock and a hard place. I'd hang on to the 629 and move Heaven and Earth to get the 648. I always look at it this way: I can always get more money, which will depreciate in value and that gun, which I'll probably never ever see again, will appreciate in value.

Money's only good for one thing - buying stuff that has real value/utility.

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the final word ontoday's events.
I still own the 629, the 648 is still at the Pawn Shop.
I just don't have the $550 for it to spare, and like you said it's not really worth trading the .44 mag for the .22 mag. I've got a couple of major surgeries scheduled for the month of February and pulling cash from the budget isn't a workable plan at this point.
I'm still hoping to find a trade that works for me without spending too much money for now.

~gq~

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Model 648-1 Pre-lock, Is one worth $550??

I did missed out on the 648.
We couldn't come to a final agreement on the price and trade. No loss though.
I had somebody post that they had a Model 29-5, 6" and wanted to trade for a Model 629, 4". We came to a perfect agreement. We're trading Even Steven.
I did agree to give him $35 for his FFL fees and shipping, to keep thing at par.
Both of these revolvers are in nearly out of box pefect condition, and we both have the original boxes and everything else that came with them.
We live just far enough apart that Face to Face won't work.
Not even for a weekend road trip.

I'm going to be happy and so is he.
I had somebody e-mail me a couple hours ago with a Model 63 for sale.
Maybe I'll get my S&W .22 DA revolver for Christmas after all.

Thank you all for the solid input. It really made my position more defendable and I won't regret missing that one.
The 648 is still available here in Coeur d'Alene for $550 if somebody wants it.

Gregory

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like the darned Ball field in the middle of nowhere, in due time it will come.

I just made the mistake of lightly mentioning it to my wife.
All she had to say was ---- Gregory!

I guess that about sums it up for the moment.

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was a 629-4, 4" Ser #BRK419x.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts