Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I have a 4" 624 that I really like. Use it as a woods walking revolver some days. Plan to work up some hunting loads before next deer season and may carry it in place of my 6" 29C. That said, I was looking for a 6" version first and could not find one at a price I was willing to pay because my plans then were to use it for a range gun where I think the longer sight radius is a little better for my eyes. IMHO, the 4" is a little more of a dual purpose gun.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Desirable for what, shooting, carrying, collecting/accumulation? Depends on what your main use is going to be... the shorter barrel is better for packing around, the longer one is better for target shooting.

The 4" seems to be the lesser seen version, so I'd give that one a nod if you looking more towards "having" than "shooting/using", and have the two to choose from...
and then of course there's the true accumulator's answer... buy both!

In my part of the Woods... I wouldn't care which one came up for sale, just the fact that a 624 was available, would be enough for me.

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
View attachment 436413 View attachment 436415 I'd like one with a 6in barrel but this one stays here along with the older one.
Cliff
That's just mean,, at one point in my life I was looking for a 4", tappered barrel, adjustable sighted 44 spcl. Price always stopped me and going to jail for bank robbery wasn't in the cards either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's just mean,, at one point in my life I was looking for a 4", tappered barrel, adjustable sighted 44 spcl. Price always stopped me and going to jail for bank robbery wasn't in the cards either.
I really like the look of the tapered barrel. You are right about pricey!

How is the trigger?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts

My 4" 624 is hands down my favorite gun...period. I am a big 44 special fan and have several S&Ws, Colts and Rugers in said caliber and shoot most of them but the 624 remains at the top of the heap. The trigger is fantastic. The 3" is ok but doesn't have the balance and natural "feel" of the 4".

M 624 4in stamp.JPG
44 spl target 2013sm.jpg
M 624 3in stamp.JPG
2015 44 spl 012 stamp.jpg
Colt 44 trio stamp.JPG

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
"Fancy Pants" is a No-Dash with a 5" barrel (yeah, the 5" wasn't available). This custom revolver has a very slick trigger pull, but I haven't shot it (yes, I think it has been shot but not by me)..........Someday I may kill some tin cans with it.

S&WModel624BobbyTylerCust_04.JPG

I do like shooting 4" .44 N-Frames and have a few that get exercised, but they're blue (not stainless). I really like shooting the 3" Model 24 Round Butt, however it too is blued carbon steel instead of stainless.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hey folks, what is the general opinion of the 624? Is a 4" more desirable than the 6", or vice versa?

Edited: This would be a range toy only.
(Let me preface this by saying I prefer the 4” barrel for EDC on an N frame. )

If you already know how to shoot a large bore revolver, get the 4”. If you are still working on sight picture, alignment, trigger squeeze, etc., get the 6”.

If you intend to carry it, 4”. If you plan to hunt with it, check your laws for minimum barrel length and get the 6”.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
This thread needs to have the following warning at the beginning... "Warning, deploy keyboard drool shield before proceeding"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts