Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In honor of Duck Venturino and his recent .44 Special rant, I got this 624 yesterday. I see stag magna style grips and a brushed aluminum Tyler T-Grip in the near future. And plenty of Skeeter's loads run through it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
KK, One sweet pistola for sure... nice snag. Now spend some time with some Mothers Mag Polish.... it'll be shine'in like nickel ;) :cool:

·
Administrator
8,453 Posts
Very nice! And, you're right.. a set of stags and a Tyler will do wonders..

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Well done Kevin!
There is just something about 4" N Frames

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Careful cause .44spl revolvers have a way of mulitplying. Before long you'll want all three barrel lengths.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Here is a 624 that has a set of Executioner's Stag grips. This one also went to Bowen Arms to get a blackpowder chamfer on the cylinder which I think is nicer than what Smith did for the Mountain Gun line. This one with Skeeter's load of 7.5 grains of Unique and the Lyman #429421 bullet is a downright tackdriver.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Kevin,

Now that there is a workin' mans revolver!

The kind ya could ride the river with.

Forty-four Specials are like a good horse or a good dog, every man need at least one of each! :mrgreen:

Su Amigo,
Dave

(Edited for language, English)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kevin Keith said:
In honor of Duck Venturino and his recent .44 Special rant, I got this 624 yesterday.
A little hard on the ducks, aren't you? oja;n

Those are great guns, and David's idea to send it off for the BP chamfer makes them look even nicer. Hamilton does do a terrific job of that. Good luck with your new revolver. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Kevin
That is a nice Looking 624. I had one Once with the 6" Barrel but traded it off many moons ago, for a model 57 Nickel 4" revolver. My recent Love affair with the .44 Special round, led me to Purchase this unfired Model 24-3. I have not decided yet as to fire it or leave in unfired... Hammerdown

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Hammerdown, that is very nice, but you need to let the hammer down on a few rounds!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hunter said:
Hammerdown, that is very nice, but you need to let the hammer down on a few rounds!
Hello Hunter
I May in Time. It by any means is not a super collectible Piece, but I want to think someday they will grow in collector Value as they only made 4875 of them with the 6-1/2" Barrel which to me is the Perfect Barrel length for target work. So Far, this is the Only one I have at this time that is truly Unfired since it left the factory... Hammerdown

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Hammerdown said:
Hunter said:
Hello Hunter
I May in Time. It by any means is not a super collectible Piece, but I want to think someday they will grow in collector Value as they only made 4875 of them with the 6-1/2" Barrel which to me is the Perfect Barrel length for target work. So Far, this is the Only one I have at this time that is truly Unfired since it left the factory... Hammerdown
Good point, I actually might consider that if it was mine also.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hammerdown said:
Good point, I actually might consider that if it was mine also.
Hello Dom
It used to not Bother me to shoot any of my S&W revolver's, but as time rolls on and the Prices continue to soar Sky-High on some of the classic models it makes you think whether or not it is worth it to fire them on a regular Basis. I have Plenty of other S&W revolvers to enjoy without Molesting a Perfect example that may climb in value eventually. l;gmna; Hammerdown

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Kevin Keith - You're gonna love shooting that 624! Skeeter Skelton said the only way he could possibly see to improve the S&W Model 24 .44 Special was to make it in stainless steel. Smith & Wesson listened and I just had to have a 4" 624. I can never leave well enough alone so I traced my right hand and sent the piece of paper to Deacon Deason (RIP) at Bear Hug Grips and he made me a set of his Skeeter Skelton handles out of birdseye maple. I shot the gun for years but decided to turn it into a true Skeeter Tribute. Michael Gouse engraved it with 75% coverage American Scroll with Skeeter's cattle brand on the backstrap.

...and they're right about .44 Specials multiplying. On the left are my two Colt .44 Specials (top 1962, bottom 1982), on the right are a pair of AWA Peacekeepers, on the top is my Cimarron 1872 customized by Bob Munden, and in the center is my new Ruger Blackhawk Lipsey's exclusive .44 Special.

-Steve

(Dave, I love the motivational poster - "9mm vs. .45")

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not to be a party pooper or anything, but if for those of you who are in the market for 624's, be sure they've passed muster, as I read that about 500 of them reportedly were made with substandard stainless steel. I have jpgs of the article if anyone is interested. The short version is that you want to see a red circled C on the box as evidence of this. Failing this, there is a serial number range of the revolvers in question.

Dave (Keith44Spl): I love that poster - it definitely brought a big smile to my face, as I couldn't possibly agree more.

Steve (mm6mm6): That is one of the most beautiful handguns I have ever seen. These photos on another forum were the impetus behind my successful search for a 624 4". Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts