Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local dealer today and he had a Model 617-4 with a 4-inch barrel; S/N: CDK2XXX, that someone had traded in. It appeared to be in very good condition. He was asking $479.00. I asked him for his best price. He told me that if there are some available when he checks the internet he'll be able to discount the price but, if there aren't any, the price is firm. Well, he went on line and he showed me that there were no 617's available so, he said that his price will have to be firm.

Two questions; first of all is the $479.00 a good price and second, are dealers currently checking the internet for a firearms' availability before settling on a price? Please advise.

Thanks,

Kirt

·
Registered
5 Posts
New the 617 is over $600 if you can find them. I would grap it. I lucked out and got a 617 6" 6 shot for $470 out the door about a month ago. Dealer had a new 10 shot for $679 sitting next to it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I paid $350 for mine, around 23 years ago, when they first came out.

Grab it! A new one now is over $600 easy.

On your second question, I think the dealer is odd to say so. He's pricing guns off the auction sites and then claims to give you a deal?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the input. I'm going to buy it. I know I'll be kicking myself if I don't.

500 Magnum...I agree with you, I thought that it was odd that he would use the internet also, for pricing.

Kirt

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Sounds like this seller doesn't know his market. And while he's willing to screw you on pricing, he wants to be sure he didn't get every last dime for his goods. One way Bastid.

I take these hucksters every chance I get. Screw 'em. The Bozos.

Thank goodness there weren't any 4" 617's on the net that day because $479 is a pretty fair price. In this case the Gods were smiling on you.

I'd go buy the gun now before he changes his mind or another example pops up on the net..... if the gun is clean, complete and straight, you'll make $100 on the buy.

Drew

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sebago Son just beat me to it.

Relax, if the gun is in good shape, $479 is a good price, especially for the 4-inch bbl model. I hope you were able to get it before someone else snatched it up.

Here's my track on the 4-in Bbl 617:

Smith & Wesson 617 Plus Revolver in .22, Long Rifle 4-in Bbl. Bluebook of Gun Values (29th Edition) indicates between $466 in 98% condition and $616 in 100% condition for this gun and doesn't distinguish between 6 and 10 shot versions. I have 26 recorded prices for this model gun from $350 to $650 over a period of 5 Yrs 5 Mos ending February 22, 2009. The average price as of that date was $474. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights, all represented as 95% or better, no distinction engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $916.

Here's a chart of the data. Notice the price trend passed $500 some time ago.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I think I made out pretty good, today. Last weekend, I had asked the dealer to hold the gun for me until today. I went in this afternoon and inspected it one last time and I told him that I'd take it. I found out that he had the original box and papers that came with it! In addition, he dropped the price from $479.00 to $450.00! I gave him some hand money and he wrote up a bill of sales. I told him that I would pick it up next week (payday :D ).

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Nicely Done! You got a screaming deal.... Now go shoot the snot out of it.... :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wikkid exlent! Congratulations!

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Nice buy, make sure you post a picture when you get it home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread but as good as any. I just got certified as an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and need a .22 revolver. A local shop in MA has a 4" barrel 617 in stock new for $750.

Is that a fair price or "Current panic" pricing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts