Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a 617 6" And was wondering what your feedback is on it. Any information on it would be appreciated, good, bad, any problems that you know about the gun. I heard it is a pretty nice but want to make sure before I order a new one. Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
460 Magnum
I have had this Mod.617 six shot for quite a while and love it. I have not had any problems with it and it is very accurate. For a carry around woods gun it is a little heavy, but, nothing that you can't live with. I recommend them. Mod 17's are good too! kfjdrfirii

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
My only problem with the 6” 617 is the muzzle heaviness. I decreased the weight of my 6 shot 617-5 from 49.35 oz. to 46.8 oz. by having the barrel cut to 5”. It now matches exactly my 627PC and makes a terrific understudy gun for practice.

I added a 4” 10 shot 617-6 to the collection. It weighs 42.0 oz. and makes a great understudy gun for my 625JM and 627Pro. I later relented and got another 6”, a 10 shot 617-6. It weighs 47.6 oz. and doesn’t feel as terribly muzzle heavy as the 617-5, but it doesn’t get used as much as the 4” and 5”.

Perhaps the best of the bunch is a 6” Model 17 of 1958 vintage. It still has a terrific finish, and probably shoots better than all the rest. I also really like its weight and balance. It weighs 44.7 oz. If I could get one in stainless, it would probably be my favorite.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have one of the earliest 617's a six shooter and it has thousands of rounds through it without any problems. Very acurate and super dependable and a lot of fun to shot. S&W did an action job on it years ago and it has one of the greatest triggers of any of my guns. Same with the 648 I have. Great gun, buy it!

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
I have this 4 inch. I had a choice between the 6in. and 4in. and the 4in. just felt better in my hands. Either way, this gun is a tank, eats anything you feed it and is very accurate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had two 617's. A six shooter which I sold and a 10 shooter that I keep. They are super accurate. Both of them. Most people don't believe me but I could shoot the 6 shot more accurately in double action than other revolvers in single action. The 10 shot trigger is a little stiffer but still very good. If you like 22's and who doesn't, you can't go wrong with a 617.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts