Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My range has a 3" model 60 in their rental counter with $600 on the sale tag. As a rental, obviously a shooter grade gun, but also has the sought-after 3" barrel. Fair price?

By comparison, also looking at a brand new 3" SP-101, which is about 10% cheaper.

thanks

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have a 36-1, same revolver except blued. Back when I carried a 38 Special, the 36-1 was my choice. I also used it in PPC Off Duty Competition. Great revolver. Sorry, I am no help on prices. If you want that piece buy it. Money comes every paycheck, 3” Model 60s? Not so often.

Kevin

·
Registered
221 Posts
Around here, I would add twenty or thirty dollars and get the new one. Used go for $525 +/-. Being a range gun, I would pass at that price.

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
Is the model 60 a .357 or .38? If a .357 then the price would seem to be about right based on what I have seen selling on GB. A 3" SP101 is also something to seriously consider. Built like a tank and less expensive. Good luck in your decision and keep us up to date.:cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Model 60 is a .357

(I'm still learning about revolvers, but I thought all Model 60's were chambered for .357?)

The range just changed management a couple months ago, after which the new operator stocked the rental counter with at least 100 handguns from the used counter of their sporting goods store down the road. So rental round count on any one gun is probably low. Not sure if they track round count.

I'll take a harder look at it next time I visit, and maybe take it for a spin. I've had a 4" Model 65 for a few months (my first S&W revolver), but I like the feel of the smaller frame gun with the intermediate barrel length longer than my snubbie (LCR).

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
The model 60 can be chambered in either .38 or .357 magnum. Glad you like you 65, which is the .357 version of the model 64 (.38 special), and I bet its fun to shoot. Good luck with your quest. You'll always find "encouraging" words here when it comes to adding another firearm to the stable.:cool:

Reactions: 5150

·
Registered
789 Posts
I had a model 60 in .357 magnum. Hubby bought a slightly used SP101, same size, etc. It did not take a very long time for him to find out that when you shoot them side by side..........it's TIME to trade the SP for "whatever" else and lay claim to wife's model 60!

Just sharing one family's experience. (BTW, I can't shoot the model 60 anymore due to arthritis problems or it would not have been assigned to my nearest and dearest!)

I have a friend who bought an old, almost new condition, model 60 in .38 special only. Yes, they do exist.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Last one I saw for sale was priced at $559.95 and that was well over a year ago. At $600 it isnt a steal but you arent over paying either

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I love 3" Model 60's, I have a few. $600 is way more than I'd pay for a range rental gun. A new one @ Buds Gun Shop www.budsgunshop.com is $630, for $30 I'd get the new one. The SP101 is a fine, rugged gun (got 1 of them too) but not as smooth as the S&W.

Reactions: ArkieVol

·
Registered
319 Posts
Never had any interest is 3" J frames. Not snubbies anymore!!

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Reluctantly passed on a 3" model 60 with adjustable sights at a small local store It is a pro series and I think the price was $695.00 Nice revolver though.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Irv, I don't have a Ruger SP101, so I can't compare it to a S&W J frame. I'm not much impressed by the heavy trigger pull of my M-36, even though it is very smooth from lots of practice shooting. I know a former shop owner, who was very impressed after trying it. He never felt one as smooth!

That's why I only have one J frame. I much prefer the light and smooth triggers on my K frames. I also have two Ruger semi-autos with great triggers.......much better than Ruger revolvers!!! ;) Bob

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Bob, I acquired a SP101 from a friend, it's a good gun but not a favorite. By tinkering w/ the actions I've got J frames down below 3lb. in SA & below 7lb. in DA. My 351PD is even lower. I used factory springs.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I haven't got a trigger gauge, so I can't say for sure, but the DA trigger pull has to be 10 lbs.!!!! It was made in the late 70's. My K frames come from that era too! I would guess that on my M-67 DA 4-5 lbs. and SA of 1-2 lbs.! You just have to touch the trigger in SA.......I changed the TRS to 14# with the stock hammer spring, and have shot it a lot, to wear it in. I had it rebuilt by S&W in 2011, and retired it from action. The other K frames I've left stock, and are somewhat heavier. I've shot mostly the M-10-7 2" for practice, but intend to shoot the M-66-1 2 1/2" more starting this year. Sort of a HD .38 Spl., with some .357 mixed in just for chuckles!!!! ldodk4fnovnpoaBob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts