Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, a fine young lady asked me to help her find a decent self protection gun, and she had decided on S&W in .38 spl. At that time, all guns at all shops were sold out.

Fast forward, and we were finally allowed to have a gun show in Maine. The following Model 60 seemed to fit the bill. Besides looking nice, this one has some collector interest and should hold its value well.

Am I correct to think that it would be a late 1967 to early 1968? Was $550 OK money?

No original stocks. Came with the pearl grips and Tyler adapter. Any idea who made the grips?

Main frame, grip frame, cylinder and barrel are polished finish. Hammer and trigger are satin.
Shoots right to point of aim. She was able to keep 4-6" groups at 21-25 feet on her first time out.

Any and all comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

· Registered
11,407 Posts
WOW! That's a real beauty and because of the condition and age, I think the price was well worth it! The old Tyler T with the scribing is worth something today by itself, plus the stocks are a very nice addition. As for the dating, the pre-letter serial number makes it harder to pin down, but from what I can see, you're certainly in the ballpark with your estimate.

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
I think that was a pretty good purchase for your young lady. Grips are faux pearls made by Jay Scott. I recommend replacing them and the grip adapter with some J frame rubber grips like those made by Pachmayr or Hogue. They'll be much easier on the hand even if they are ugly to some. ;) Your guess as to shipping date is about as good as can be expected without a factory letter.

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
I'd hold onto the old inscribed Tyler- T, that's a keeper!
Yep. I like the combat grips although I think the rubbers would be better for the hand. There are also some grips known as Secret Service-style you might consider.

· Registered
1,901 Posts
A couple small pieces of lead removal cloth will clean the remaining black around the forcing cone and the burn marks on the end of the cylinder and make that little beauty sparkle like new!

I can understand why those pretty wood grips appeal to the young woman, but she will probably find out that the 'ugly old black' Pachmayr grips make for much more comfortable shooting.

If she doesn't mind altering her gun, a nice coating of about 3 thin layers of bright orange nail polish on the top ramp of the front sight will increase her accuracy very quickly. And it can be removed later.

My first gun was a S&W 5 shot snubbie, but not shiny pretty like that beauty. I did very well with it, possibly because it was well used and therefore had a very smooth trigger pull. The worst gun mistake I ever made was trading that sweet old girl for something else!

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple small pieces of lead removal cloth will clean the remaining black around the forcing cone and the burn marks on the end of the cylinder and make that little beauty sparkle like new!

I can understand why those pretty wood grips appeal to the young woman, but she will probably find out that the 'ugly old black' Pachmayr grips make for much more comfortable shooting.

If she doesn't mind altering her gun, a nice coating of about 3 thin layers of bright orange nail polish on the top ramp of the front sight will increase her accuracy very quickly. And it can be removed later.

My first gun was a S&W 5 shot snubbie, but not shiny pretty like that beauty. I did very well with it, possibly because it was well used and therefore had a very smooth trigger pull. The worst gun mistake I ever made was trading that sweet old girl for something else!
It will clean up some more, for sure. But it was a good start, with ten black q-tips at the finish.

I think this has had some trigger work, as the single action break is at about 2 lbs, consistent and very crisp. DA is classically smooth.

· Registered
1,901 Posts
It will clean up some more, for sure. But it was a good start, with ten black q-tips at the finish.

I think this has had some trigger work, as the single action break is at about 2 lbs, consistent and very crisp. DA is classically smooth.
WOW - She got a great one for sure! Those old Smiths are definitely worth having in so many ways.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
$550 ain't beans when your/her safety is concerned, and, it is a lovely piece.
No one makes comments about the photos? Great presentation with perfect backdrop and lighting. You done goooood.
What equipment are you using?

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$550 ain't beans when your/her safety is concerned, and, it is a lovely piece.
No one makes comments about the photos? Great presentation with perfect backdrop and lighting. You done goooood.
What equipment are you using?
The photos are just an acquired skill over years practice, trial and error, and a little dumb luck.

The trick is to hold steady with the shutter switch, just like trigger discipline. If the camera is steady, the details are clear.

The backdrop is something I found by accident one day on the road. I needed a flat, dry surface to shoot pics of a Luger which I was considering, and I had one of Jan Still's fine reference publications with me. The back cover is a pleasing red, semi-gloss and lightly textured to cut down glare. Lighting is indirect from God, either under cloud cover, or in the shade on a sunny day.

Camera is just a medium quality Nikon Coolpix point and shoot.

Here is the Luger, BTW. I did buy it for somewhere near 100 Ben Franklins. It does have a second matching mag.

· Registered
6,509 Posts
That is a nice, very nice, snub. At $550 it’s a good buy because it may be worth a thousand in a few months. The rubber grips would be a very good addition for that J frame and a new shooter. There were some very nice rubber Butler grips available a few years ago but are no longer made. I believe that S&W has grips that are very similar to the Butlers.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I am doing a little more research on the Model 60, as I was curious about it possibly being a First Production Run. I don't have a S&W reference, so I picked out what seemed to be educated commentary from past topics. This post from 2009 identifies the First Run as High Polished, and with stainless steel hammer and trigger from serial 409802-410698, or roughly 900 guns.

Hi Polish S&W 60

Here is a link and picture of a Jack The Dog auction of a definite high polished gun. And, as much of his stuff, it is simply sublime. Serial # 410010, and likely 1965 or early 1966.

Smith & Wesson Model 60 First Production Run...Scarce High Polish Stainless...Excellent In Box...Mfd 1966, C&R Ok .38 Special

-Jack The Dog photo. I wish I had his skills!

So, I think this Model 60 in the OP is a Second Production Run, 1966 through 1968. That second run went from roughly where the First Run left off at 410,700, into the 600,000-plus serial range (like the gun above), and until the R-prefix began in 1969. This second run was polished, but more of a satin finish vs high polish, and the trigger and hammer were supposedly case hardened, or chrome forged, depending on who or how the small part finishes are described. Case hardening, to me, looks like rainbow coloring on a bright steel piece.... so, I might have the wrong idea?

I will add some photos of the young ladies' gun which show some brush polishing lines in the finish on the main frame, grip frame, barrel and cylinder, and thus giving the serial # 622241 revolver a Satin Finish, and slightly less reflective than a First Run mirror shine.

Note the different texture of the hammer, trigger, and I will add, the Front Ramp Sight. Surfaces of these three items are non-reflective, and appear to be the Forged Chrome. But perhaps that is Smith & Wesson's description of Case Hardening for the Model 60 No-Dash, Second Production Run?

Any clarification is most welcome. Thank you. More pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.