Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a very good condition J frame Model 60. What made the sale for me was it was complete - in the original box with all the paperwork. The seller was getting rid of his guns - getting married. I think it was a fair price - $350. The serial number is R 177xxx. Does this make it around a 1976 number?

The gun has a little pitting - discolorations around the trigger guard and the frame by the yoke. Probably from the holster.

I did get a cheap hunter holster and a hundred cases. I wish the holster matched the bag inside the box - a S&W plastic bag for the 02-62 offduty holster.

Comments please.
JPG

·
Registered
747 Posts
Your gonna get arrested for stealing that gun. :)
You got one heck of a deal.
A little Mothers Mag polish should get rid of the stain problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Very nice, I love j frames.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Catdaddy, it not stealing if everyone agrees on a price. :)
I knew this was a good deal. But what at price would this setup normally sell?

Hunter, I am new to J frames, I have several K frames and an L frame. This sucker is very light compared to the mids. How about recoil with standard and +P?

·
Super Moderator
19,545 Posts
Catdaddy, it not stealing if everyone agrees on a price.
I knew this was a good deal. But what at price would this setup normally sell?
Well in my book, you "stole" it, and you did good. The best part is like you said, everybody walked away knowing they got what they wanted out of the deal.
It would normally sell for much more than you "stole" it for.
You must be one heck of a horse trader.
QC had better keep his eyes open and his ears to the ground. He's got some competition.
$450 easy and possibly a bit more, depending on the region you are in.
I suppose, at one time or another most of us have been on the better end of some great gun deals, and we've all admitted to "stealing" the deal.
Congratulations on a great purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy it for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
33,417 Posts
Very nice. That would be a great carry weapon. ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
You beat me by $100 on the one I have...

... and I thought I got a deal!

Yes +P's can be shot in a Mod 60 with no problems but with the new Federal Personal Defense ammo you don't have to deal with as much recoil to get a premium carry round.

GGF

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the kind posts.

I am going to the gunshows here in Houston tomorrow. I am looking for a M18 and use this M60 as trade bait.

I haven't seen many M18s at the Houston shows in a while, but like I found this 60, you got to be patient and persistent.

C.R.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i would keep the 60 and buy a18 i have a 17 and 60 and wouldnt sell them you will not find a 60 that nice for that price ever again ever S&W i have ever sold i wished i had back

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gsf, I did walk it around both shows this weekend. A lot of let me see it, but only one solid offer. The offer was for a trade to a M66. I have two M19s, but not the ss version. I was tempted but ended up going home with what I had.

I did see 3 M18s at the Geo. Brown show. A good bit over my price range - $675 - $785, no boxes, bluing wear on all.

I did talk to several folks at the shows, the best part. Just talking guns and stuff. They all commented on the high dealer pricing.

I'll just wait for the next big show, and look again.

I really like the K frames, I just haven't warmed up to the J frame. I bought the M60 because it was a good deal.

JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts