Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I picked up a model 58 today that makes no sense to me.
It has a 4 inch barrel and looks to be stainless steel????? Plus it has adjustable target sights. The 4th edition says these were either blue or nickel with fixed sights. Serial number is N178xxx, I will say it has been mag na ported.
I love the 41 mag round so over all I'm pretty happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Marine,

Wow! That is a great looking .41!!

Should be lots of FUN!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Yes 57's should have adjustable sights and shrouded ejector rods; 58's should have neither. Mismarked, likely. Rebuilt, unlikely. Any premium value, unlikely. It happens.

Nickel or stainless, box looks altered, my pics look more like SS?

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Awhile back I had a mis-marked Model 58.........as Mr Waidmann said above, the finish looks stainless on my monitor but could be satin nickel or possibly someone bead blasted a bright nickel finish. Are you certain that box & label actually pair up with that gun? One can purchase boxes and blank labels (eBay sellers have them)......even papers, docs & tools too.

Bottom line........don't worry about it and enjoy that excellent revolver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could buy the mismarked, possible the gun and box were both mismarked?
And yes it looks just like my stainless 629 and model 66.
Also the back strap of the frame is smooth not ridged.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
i agree looks like a stainless 657 - whats it say on the frame under the crane? box is most likely incorrect..

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
i agree looks like a stainless 657 - whats it say on the frame under the crane? box is most likely incorrect..
That's my question. The box could be from any N frame and labels are easily reproduced. The writing on the label looks pretty fresh to me

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The smooth back strap is definitely a Model 58 feature. A real tell on this gun is the juncture between the barrel and frame. The Model 58 frame isn't grooved for a barrel rib and is also lower than the barrel rib on a target sighted barrel. I have a Model 58 that was machined for an adjustable rear sight and a Model 57 barrel installed. It's a wonderful shooter and I knew it was a frankengun when i purchased it. Also the groove in the top strap for the fixed rear sight protrudes past the adjustable rear sight. It's been known that the factory has more than once used a frame that has already been model marked and built a different gun out of it but even they couldn't build a Model 657 out of a Model 58 frame. I would bet that it's a built up gun that has been hard chromed. Still a wonderful gun to own and shoot.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts