Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this model 58 off of another forum about three years ago. The seller claims to have never shot it while he owned it. I don’t think he purposely didn’t be wrong, but when it came and I just fired it it had a bulged chamber. This made the empties so hard to extract that I had to push the ejector rod against my truck tailgate to free it up. With some testing I was able to figure out which chamber it was and marked it so I wouldn’t use that chamber going forward.

But it really bothered me and the result was that it just stayed in the safe. Until a couple of weeks ago when I was able to find a high condition replacement cylinder for a reasonable price. It was a simple swap and works perfectly.

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Hey Forester,

Sweet!

PMC makes good brass! I used a bunch in .44...shooting at the FLAT CRITTERS!

With the 6.5gr Unique/Universal load....that brass should last a LONG time!

Later, Mark

Reactions: bruce and Forester

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Glad that worked! I have a Model 15 that has a similar problem. May have to try Injunbro’s trick with the rachet , etc. That might help with timing issues in the replacement cylinder. Hank

·
Super Moderator
19,959 Posts
I have a model 29 that had the same problem. I bought a new, old stock cylinder for it, and had my gunsmith swap them out. It was a perfect fit, and he only charge me $25 for the work he did. It took him all of 10 minutes to get it done.

Reactions: Forester
1 - 9 of 9 Posts