Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's all cleaned up and ready for the range. I'm working up some hand loads for the upcoming deer season. I'll have the 57 with me on my hunt. If the opportunity presents itself. I will use the M57, if not I will use a rifle. During deer season, I normally have a model 29 with me. This year it will be the model 57 & a Win M70. I wear the pistol under my hunting jacket using a shoulder holster. Anyone else carry a pistol during rifle season.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I always carry a handgun when "rifle" hunting...

And like you have stated, if conditions are right I use the handgun...

There are times I carry and only hunt with the handgun as well...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Jim,

That 57 of yours is a beauty! I'm glad that you are leaving the 29 at home, it means that you are a man of true class. ;) As everyone here knows, I'm a .41 nut. That said, my belt gun during deer season is my 4" 25-5. I've posted pictures of that rig before. It's outfitted with a set of modified magnas and a Tyler T. I've tagged out (using a rifle) this year, but next year my belt gun will shift duties to the newly aquired 4" 657. Another forum member hooked me up with another set of modified magnas. Now I just need a brushed aluminum Tyler T. Should be quite a rig!

Keep us posted on your season and range results.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I always carry a pistol, sometimes it this one,

Or this one

I recently sold/traded these for other guns to carry

·
Registered
232 Posts
I often carry a rifle during hunting season.....

:D

rayb

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Jim, I know plated handguns are flashy but that 57 looks like it came from between the headlights of a 57 DeSoto!! Please tell me that's highly-polished Nickel and not Chrome.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Deer in the headlights is given a new meaning with that Jim kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys it's a pretty revolver.
The 57 is wearing the original nickel finish. This one was a Birthday gift from my wife. The 57 had very faint marks on it from storage. Plus the patina was not even. From spending most of it's life sitting in the presentation case. She needed a light buffing to remove the handling marks. The end result was a shine to the nickel. I can live with that. It will dull down in time. The 57 is just about as close to new as you will find. Unfortunately the owner prior to me, had the hammer and trigger jeweled, Not A biggie to me. I can always replace the hammer & trigger with a new set. Or have the originals re case colored. Then I would have to remove them and send them off. The 57 is a sweet shooter as is. I may just leave the hammer & trigger as is. It has also had an action job. That the trigger is real sweet on it. One of the better ones I own. As the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

David
Nice Wheelguns great pix too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I carry a 686 6" no dash with me when I am snooping about in the brush.
180 grain Remington factory loads is the usual fodder. I am very comfortable out to 50 yards w/ this iron sighted set up. I feel the day is quickly approaching that I will need to add optics of some sort but until that I will enjoy shooting the stock irons. I have recently purchased some Barnes 140 grain bullets, but as yet do not have a load worked up.

My other "deer pistol" is a 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk in 41 mag which gets about the call about 80% of the time because I really like the 41M and I do not have a M657 at the current time.

I know optics would add distance to my effective range of 50 yards (did go to a paced off 72 yards once under perfect conditions), but until the eyes go completely Tango Uniform I will prefer the factory irons

·
Registered
429 Posts
Jim, nice shinny 57!

I haven't carried a rifle during rifle deer hunting season in 20 years. This year I'll be carrying across the chest the S&W M629 Master Hunter 7 1/2" that is well documented here (thread: 629 virgin no more) for shooting at 100 yds. I'll also carry in thigh strap-down holster a M629 Classic Hunter 6" for shorter Iron Sight shot, that I got an 8 pt at 90yds a few years ago. I use REM 240 SPs.

Good luck to all handgunners out there this year.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts