Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1973 vintage model 53 that came with a "fitted" .22 cylinder. I recently purchased the gun witch" I believe"was never fired. Went to install the .22 LR cylinder and I can not remove the yoke and cylinder assembly from the revolver. The cylinder will not clear the frame. You have to pull the yoke away from the cylinder. The other cylinder does not do that.
But, the best part is that the cylinder will not open unless I manually release the ejection rod from the fame lock pin up front.

Question is, in your opinion, will S & W fix this if I return it? I know, contact them and see what they say. Just wanted your opinion before I did that.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I would never send this back to S&W. Find a talented revolver smith to evaluate the issues you describe. A location would help with forum members recommendations.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Ten-Ring precision in Texas might be a good option. There are a lot of members here from Arizona that will chime in with suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Don't bother trying to send it to S&W... it's been out of production for too long and it exceeds the age threshold of a gun that they are willing to work on.

Best bet it is to take it to a local gunsmith, and luckily for you, Tucson has many gunsmiths.

This one has good reviews on Yelp, and I've heard of them for doing work for Cowboy Action Shooters:

Old Pueblo Gunsmith
3102 W Treeline Dr Tucson, AZ 85741

(520) 979-8640

HOME | Old Pueblo Gunsmith

I suspect that the .22LR aux cylinder just needs a good cleaning due to old, hardened gun oil, that's locked up the center pin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neither cylinder is numbered. Looked on my 14 and it is not numbered either.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The auxiliary cylinders on the M53's were numbered to the gun. The regular Jet cyls. were not. They quit numbering all parts in and around 1957. The 22 cyls. were fitted to each gun and numbered. That may be why yours does not fit. Big Larry

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Since you didn't mention it, you are removing the side plate screw on the right side above the trigger correct? That is what releases the yoke and cylinder.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, removing the screw. Larry, where is the number supposed to be?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes, removing the screw. Larry, where is the number supposed to be?
Right on the edge of the cyl. where the bullets go in. Early guns had it there, and sometime in real small stamps.
If not numbered, take every ones advice and have it fitted. That cyl. is worth around $600+++ and very desirable. Make sure you go to a Smith who knows what he is doing. There are no spare parts for these. Big Larry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Larry, Do you know if the original box was marked for an extra cylinder? I have said box.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Larry, Do you know if the original box was marked for an extra cylinder? I have said box.
The label on the end would tell you of any special order features. If it is an early 4 screw, I think all they wrote on the bottom of the box was the serial number in white China marker or grease pencil. I have both. A 3 and 4 screw. No 22 cylinder in either. Big Larry

·
Registered
514 Posts
Didn't think about that. They had a bad habit of doing that. Especially the 4 screws. You are good to go now. I thought about finding a 22LR cylinder for my 8 3/8"er, but later, just bought a M17-3 8 3/8'. N
Revolver Photograph Green Air gun Trigger
ever even got around to firing it.
Good luck with your treasure. Big Larry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I would share my find. It was in un fired condition when I bought it. Although it only came with target stocks the optional,according to the IPB, target hammer and trigger were installed. Right now the only negative is that the hammer selector can not be moved with thumb pressure alone. Need a block of wood and a mallet to move it. Lubed the heck out of it, even with Hobo oil, and it will not loosen up.

• Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory
    Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thought I would share my find. It was in un fired condition when I bought it. Although it only came with target stocks the optional,according to the IPB, target hammer and trigger were installed. Right now the only negative is that the hammer selector can not be moved with thumb pressure alone. Need a block of wood and a mallet to move it. Lubed the heck out of it, even with Hobo oil, and it will not loosen up.

Nice package. Red ramp front sight and I presume white outline rear. Target stocks were not optional on the M53. They all came that way. Early guns had the diamond center walnut stocks. I do think the later ones came with Goncalo Alves target stocks. Yes, some of those selector switches can be real tight. Beautiful revolver. Big Larry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts